How to Effectively take notes from Pre-Recorded Lectures and my Dilemma???

Watch
Ali-liyyah
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys. I hope you all well, and doing better than I am. I am really struggling with university at the moment, and all of my lectures are online, except one a week. I found online school quite hard during my A levels, but university online school is so much harder. I am so behind with all the work that is being set and I don't know how to approach it. I have also struggled since GCSEs in terms of effective notetaking, and now that I am in university, I feel like it is too late to just start figuring out how to study.

Even though it's only week 4, university has been so stressful for me due to a number of different reasons and I'm genuinely considering whether to continue or not, as it seems to be taking a serious toll on my mental health.

Any advice you guys can give regarding notetaking as well as my dilemma would be really helpful.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ali-liyyah)
Hey guys. I hope you all well, and doing better than I am. I am really struggling with university at the moment, and all of my lectures are online, except one a week. I found online school quite hard during my A levels, but university online school is so much harder. I am so behind with all the work that is being set and I don't know how to approach it. I have also struggled since GCSEs in terms of effective notetaking, and now that I am in university, I feel like it is too late to just start figuring out how to study.

Even though it's only week 4, university has been so stressful for me due to a number of different reasons and I'm genuinely considering whether to continue or not, as it seems to be taking a serious toll on my mental health.

Any advice you guys can give regarding notetaking as well as my dilemma would be really helpful.
Hi Ali-liyyah 👋,

I fully understand where you are coming from. When I first started university I found the transition from A-levels to be a big step that I was not really prepared for. In the first few weeks I struggled to keep up with the work load and found myself falling behind, which left me very panicked. Some of the things I learnt from this was that making 'To Do lists' really helped me, as it gave me a visual idea of everything I needed to do and then I could see my work load going down.

In regards to note taking, in the beginning I would try and write down everything that was being said and then I would never look at it again, which wasted a lot of time. One tip that were given to me that helped were to listen closely to the lecturer and try and pick out the key points they are saying, for examples, key research, authors, dates, etc. I also like to use colour to separate my notes up and help key areas stand out. With the online teaching most universities have their lecture slides online so if you do miss anything then you can also check back and have a look.

I would also suggest getting in contact with your lectures and explaining your situation as some universities offer note taking and transition help and support services to help students in similar situations.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have another questions!
Shelby - UoP Rep 😃
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep: Danielle
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ali-liyyah)

Hi Ali-liyyah

So sorry to hear you’re struggling with uni. It really is overwhelming and stressful at times. If you’re able to, I think it’d be really great to reach out to your uni for some support. Do they have any student support services? Or maybe you could speak to an adviser if you have one, or a lecturer/seminar leader? I’m sure there will be someone there to help you with the difficulties you’re facing at the moment.

It’s very easy to get behind with workloads, so please know you’re not alone. It can be hard to know where to start, right? Just making a bullet point list of 3 things you want to get done in a day and then ticking them off is a great start. Hopefully then you can get into some flow with it and gradually make your to do list a little more manageable.

Do you prefer taking notes digitally or on paper? When I take notes I like to write down the particular points that interest me that I’d like to delve into further/use in my work, and also write down the things I’m a bit unsure of so I can try and better my understanding. You could maybe take a look on YouTube at some student vloggers to see how they take their notes for inspiration? I also love using different coloured highlighters for different things!

Ultimately, try not to be too hard on yourself. University, especially at the beginning, can be difficult but there is definitely support out there should you need it. I hope it all works out, and above everything else you stay well.

Best wishes,
Danielle
Film and Television Studies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.97%
Okay (65)
29.15%
A bit lacking (83)
37.22%
Not good at all (55)
24.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed