Can't choose a degree or career + in Yr 13

Watch
Bakugo27
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It's november and i'm in year 13 doing all science alevels. i have no idea what job or degree i'd like to do. I'm halfway into my civil eng personal statement and have realised that i really do not want to do this course. I have no passions or notable interests. I've began thinking that I might like to become a teacher but there are a bunch of things that I dislike about that too such as children talking over you, lesson planning, regulating their behaviour among other things. I would like a career that I could be satisfied with and allows me to help others but I don't like medicine. When looking at the full list of careers and large books with almost every career inside, I find that I do not like or I'm not good at all of them. What should I do? I'm too afraid to take a path like a gap year that my parents won't like. Is choosing a career really about what you like? or what you have to do
renosiie
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
If you feel like you have no passions then personally I think you should focus on doing what you enjoy and if you don't think you'll enjoy anything then just please don't do a degree that requires you to have a genuine passion for the job in order to help people (psychology degrees spring to mind as many people do one since it's "safe" but the jobs linked to it require empathy and such). To me, it sounds like you should take a gap year to do some full-time and work and find something you enjoy because if you get the grades you need to get into uni then you'll always be able to do a degree. If you aren't willing to take a gap year and do some experimenting with working + hobbies, you may never find something you enjoy.

I'd recommend trying to talk to someone in the same situation as you.
Bakugo27
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by renosiie)
If you feel like you have no passions then personally I think you should focus on doing what you enjoy and if you don't think you'll enjoy anything then just please don't do a degree that requires you to have a genuine passion for the job in order to help people (psychology degrees spring to mind as many people do one since it's "safe" but the jobs linked to it require empathy and such). To me, it sounds like you should take a gap year to do some full-time and work and find something you enjoy because if you get the grades you need to get into uni then you'll always be able to do a degree. If you aren't willing to take a gap year and do some experimenting with working + hobbies, you may never find something you enjoy.

I'd recommend trying to talk to someone in the same situation as you.
Thank you!
renosiie
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bakugo27)
Thank you!
No problem! Wishing you the best of luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.89%
Okay (65)
28.89%
A bit lacking (85)
37.78%
Not good at all (55)
24.44%

Watched Threads