Is there a path from an MSc to Medicine?

Watch
rancidrocker24
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,

I am a postgraduate student doing my MSc in Cancer Biology and Therapy at Uni of Leeds and have a 2:1 in BSc Biological Sciences (same uni). If I wanted to avoid the lab, and go down the clinical path become a medical doctor, what would be the route? Would I have to take the medical entrance exams and just do the four years in a graduate medicine course or is there another way of doing it seeing as my masters was done in the school of medicine, and I have studied a substantial amount of what is taught in medicine courses already? Also how would funding work, would I have to fund it myself if i've already taken undergrad and postgrad student loans out?

Thanks in advance for any replies
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rancidrocker24)
...Would I have to take the medical entrance exams and just do the four years in a graduate medicine course
Yes

or is there another way of doing it seeing as my masters was done in the school of medicine, and I have studied a substantial amount of what is taught in medicine courses already?
No

Also how would funding work, would I have to fund it myself if i've already taken undergrad and postgrad student loans out?

Well outlined here: https://warwick.ac.uk/services/wss/s...es/medics2020/
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You have the 2.1 at degree so the Masters is a bonus. Check out the different med schools that offer the graduate entry option. The masters was unnecessary since you could have applied for medicine with the 2.1. Some med schools will also look at your A level grades - min ABB being the norm. Thus if you have BBB or work at A level the check the entrance requirements for each med school.
TicTockClock
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rancidrocker24)
Hi there,

I am a postgraduate student doing my MSc in Cancer Biology and Therapy at Uni of Leeds and have a 2:1 in BSc Biological Sciences (same uni). If I wanted to avoid the lab, and go down the clinical path become a medical doctor, what would be the route? Would I have to take the medical entrance exams and just do the four years in a graduate medicine course or is there another way of doing it seeing as my masters was done in the school of medicine, and I have studied a substantial amount of what is taught in medicine courses already? Also how would funding work, would I have to fund it myself if i've already taken undergrad and postgrad student loans out?

You could still apply to medicine; either a graduate entry or an undergraduate course, but bare in mind and undergraduate course will have far less financial support. You would still have to complete the full course plus any entrance exam. Some will still have some kind of A level requirement as stated above. I’d recommend looking at https://www.medicmind.co.uk/medical-...mparison-tool/ this helped me a lot in picking where I applied this year.

If you applied for a graduate programme you would still be eligible for funding, regardless of your postgrad loan, as medical degrees are an exception to the finance rules, however, you won’t be eligible for funding if you take on an undergrad degree.

Having a masters will sometimes boost your 2:1 in terms of “points”, but I can’t think of anywhere tat requires greater than a 2:1 for entry.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads