How to make friends in college?

Watch
RealOkamy
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
First of all, i wanna say thanks to whoever reads this and helps. I appreciate your effort.
Let's begin with a short description of myself:
I'm introverted and i suffer from social anxiety; it's very hard for me to talk to people when i'm alone.
I consider myself smart and interesting, but unfortunatelly all of this traits are visibile only if you know me for a while (at first i'm shy).
So the problem Is that i portraited my years in college as awesome: new Friends, girls, fun etc.
The reality Is quite different though:
After one month i didn't make a friend, people Just ignore me or feel unconfortable around me because it's obvious that i'm anxious in the social context of class.
They already have a group so even if i tried to talk to someone, they Just don't accept me in cause they don't need another member.
Sometimes they Just vanish, like with a girl that i took a coffee with. We chatted and had a good time. I texted her if she wanted to take a coffee with me after class another time and she ignored me. At this day she continues to ignore me even irl without a reason. I don't really know what to do. I wanna live the best years of my life (i'm 20yo) but i just feel like my anxiety and my personality are not gonna make that dream true. Even the people, as i said, are not helping even if i try. What do i do?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RealOkamy)
First of all, i wanna say thanks to whoever reads this and helps. I appreciate your effort.
Let's begin with a short description of myself:
I'm introverted and i suffer from social anxiety; it's very hard for me to talk to people when i'm alone.
I consider myself smart and interesting, but unfortunatelly all of this traits are visibile only if you know me for a while (at first i'm shy).
So the problem Is that i portraited my years in college as awesome: new Friends, girls, fun etc.
The reality Is quite different though:
After one month i didn't make a friend, people Just ignore me or feel unconfortable around me because it's obvious that i'm anxious in the social context of class.
They already have a group so even if i tried to talk to someone, they Just don't accept me in cause they don't need another member.
Sometimes they Just vanish, like with a girl that i took a coffee with. We chatted and had a good time. I texted her if she wanted to take a coffee with me after class another time and she ignored me. At this day she continues to ignore me even irl without a reason. I don't really know what to do. I wanna live the best years of my life (i'm 20yo) but i just feel like my anxiety and my personality are not gonna make that dream true. Even the people, as i said, are not helping even if i try. What do i do?
Up to about two months ago i felt anxious and shy as well. Then a thing that I've never even knew existed happened to me; i became lovesick. This kicked me off my childlike mentality and i no longer feel anywhere as shy as i did before. You might think *how the **** is this supposed to help me?* the point I'm trying to make here is there are other things you can worry about and if you're patient then good people that find you interesting will eventually come along. These people will make you feel comfortable and will find you interesting. Literally, just be yourself and you won't be shy eventually if you put your energy and focus on other things
purplepeanutss
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You need to work on your self-image.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.68%
Okay (119)
29.53%
A bit lacking (153)
37.97%
Not good at all (92)
22.83%

Watched Threads