The Student Room Group

How long in a week would you recommend to work while studying sixth form

Hi,I’m currently studying first year of sixth form planning to work from next year if you worked during sixth form how long would you recommend to work in a week and what are some good job during 18
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Zara_muntaha7
Hi,I’m currently studying first year of sixth form planning to work from next year if you worked during sixth form how long would you recommend to work in a week and what are some good job during 18

Hello Zara :smile:

I think it is great that you want to start working!

I did some research and I found that it is recommended no more than 10 hours a week. You could probably work during the weekend. However, if you start to find that you are struggling to manage it all try to cut down the number of hours you are working as soon as possible, to avoid falling behind on the work otherwise.

Right now the number of online and remote jobs is growing, which is great considering that these types of roles tend to be really flexible.. Here are some ideas:

- Searching for remote customer service roles: The majority of customer service jobs out there are likely to be entry-level remote jobs, as you don’t need a particular skill set to be able to do it. Most companies will be happy to teach you along the way. As long as you are friendly and are prepared to deal with customers that may be upset or difficult, then this role is perfect for you. You will mainly need to talk to people on the phone and reply to emails.

- Call center rep: Similar to the remote customer service roles, you could do this from anywhere. There are all sorts of duties you could be doing such as collecting data from customers and opening support tickets for software companies.

- Tutoring online: If there is something you are really good at and that you enjoy doing you could tutor online. My friend teaches English online, for example. He does not have any experience teaching so his classes consist of conversation.

- Proofreading and translating: If you can speak another language that is another thing you could do.

- Content writing: This may start off paying low, but the more work you do, and the better reputation you build, the higher-paying jobs you will be able to take.

And finally, not an online job, but maybe you could work as a nanny, babysitter or dog walker.

Good luck in your job search!
Best wishes
Andrea
Original post by Kingston University
Hello Zara :smile:

I think it is great that you want to start working!

I did some research and I found that it is recommended no more than 10 hours a week. You could probably work during the weekend. However, if you start to find that you are struggling to manage it all try to cut down the number of hours you are working as soon as possible, to avoid falling behind on the work otherwise.

Right now the number of online and remote jobs is growing, which is great considering that these types of roles tend to be really flexible.. Here are some ideas:

- Searching for remote customer service roles: The majority of customer service jobs out there are likely to be entry-level remote jobs, as you don’t need a particular skill set to be able to do it. Most companies will be happy to teach you along the way. As long as you are friendly and are prepared to deal with customers that may be upset or difficult, then this role is perfect for you. You will mainly need to talk to people on the phone and reply to emails.

- Call center rep: Similar to the remote customer service roles, you could do this from anywhere. There are all sorts of duties you could be doing such as collecting data from customers and opening support tickets for software companies.

- Tutoring online: If there is something you are really good at and that you enjoy doing you could tutor online. My friend teaches English online, for example. He does not have any experience teaching so his classes consist of conversation.

- Proofreading and translating: If you can speak another language that is another thing you could do.

- Content writing: This may start off paying low, but the more work you do, and the better reputation you build, the higher-paying jobs you will be able to take.

And finally, not an online job, but maybe you could work as a nanny, babysitter or dog walker.

Good luck in your job search!
Best wishes
Andrea

Thanks a lot for your answer honestly it was very helpful specially with online works ..I’ll try to start working thanks
i would say 8-10 hours but some people do more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending