Old chen
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I’ve an offer to join a masters degree course at the University of Oxford. I gather that I can nominate one college (from a group of about a dozen colleges which will accept students studying that course). The way the system seems to work is that I would have a single choice, but if I were to be rejected by my chosen college then I’ll be allocated one which I then must accept. So, what can I do to try and influence where I’ll end up? Is it best to just pick a college I actually like, regardless of the number of applications it receives, or a large one which takes a lot of postgrads, or one which is less popular?
Last edited by Old chen; 1 month ago
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Your college choice honestly isn't that important, particularly as a grad student, unless you're applying for a scholarship that is tied to a specific college. Trying to play a stats game is risky because numbers of applicants for specific courses at specific colleges can vary significantly year-on-year but if there are two colleges that you're interested in and one consistently attracts fewer applicants then yes, you may want to consider applying for that one if you want to avoid reallocation.
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Old chen)
Hi, I’ve an offer to join a masters degree course at the University of Oxford. I gather that I can nominate one college (from a group of about a dozen colleges which will accept students studying that course). The way the system seems to work is that I would have a single choice, but if I were to be rejected by my chosen college then I’ll be allocated one which I then must accept. So, what can I do to try and influence where I’ll end up? Is it best to just pick a college I actually like, regardless of the number of applications it receives, or a large one which takes a lot of postgrads, or one which is less popular?
You can check on this website.

https://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/
Lidocaine
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Your college choice honestly isn't that important, particularly as a grad student, unless you're applying for a scholarship that is tied to a specific college. Trying to play a stats game is risky because numbers of applicants for specific courses at specific colleges can vary significantly year-on-year but if there are two colleges that you're interested in and one consistently attracts fewer applicants then yes, you may want to consider applying for that one if you want to avoid reallocation.
I would disagree. For example, I am at Kellogg. I work full-time, therefore I attend part-time. The college's cheap high quality short-term accommodation is a massive plus point. In addition, as it is graduate only, it gives a notably different offering that mixing with students who are just out of school. This is probably most evident at dinners where there is no high table and you will find yourself having dinner next to the Professor of ...., an MSc student in ...., a DPhil student in ...., and a post-doc. This is a formula for potentially great conversation. More subjectively, it has beautiful Victorian mansions for its buildings whereas there are certain other colleges which may not appeal to your tastes in architecture. Last, and definitely not least, all colleges have different scholarships/funding - you would be foolish not to look into how these may benefit you.
Old chen
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
You can check on this website.

https://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/
Thanks. The website looks useful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.93%
Okay (65)
29.02%
A bit lacking (84)
37.5%
Not good at all (55)
24.55%

Watched Threads