Alec Baldwin discharges a gun on set killing one and seriously injuring another

Watch
caravaggio2
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
https://youtu.be/pi8e_OmTFew

Crickey. RIP
Now that's a bad day at the office. Hopefully it was a technical fault and not larking about gone wrong. 😳
Barbu
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
https://youtu.be/pi8e_OmTFew

Crickey. RIP
Now that's a bad day at the office. Hopefully it was a technical fault and not larking about gone wrong. 😳
A horrible tragedy. She seemed like a very, very bright woman.

I really don't like the chatter about Alec doing it "on purpose" on Social Media... a producer is asking for him to be charged with manslaughter, which is ridiculous. I don't really like Alec btw
Chadmiral Nelson
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Apparently it was a live bullet in the gun and not a blank. Something smells fishy here, there should be no live ammunition anywhere near a film set and it's also very easy to tell the difference between a blank round and live round. Not in any way suggesting Alec himself had anything to do with it, but whoever is in charge of handling the props should be thoroughly investigated.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This is one of those stories where a full investigation determines what actually happened and legally who is at fault.

Difficult to do that from your sofa just using the Internet
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
‘Rust’ crew describes on-set gun safety issues and misfires days before fatal shooting

Hours before actor Alec Baldwin fatally shot a cinematographer on the New Mexico set of “Rust” with a prop gun, a half-dozen camera crew workers walked off the set to protest working conditions.

The camera operators and their assistants were frustrated by the conditions surrounding the low-budget film, including complaints about long hours, long commutes and collecting their paychecks, according to three people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment.

Safety protocols standard in the industry, including gun inspections, were not strictly followed on the “Rust” set near Santa Fe, the sources said. They said at least one of the camera operators complained last weekend to a production manager about gun safety on the set.

A colleague was so alarmed by the prop gun misfires that he sent a text message to the unit production manager. “We’ve now had 3 accidental discharges. This is super unsafe,” according to a copy of the message reviewed by The Times.
Napp
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I would be surprised if the armorer doesnt face charges for this grotesque cockup, which ultimately falls at his door if he was giving out dodgy blank guns, or ones with live ammunition of all things. I do wonder how he managed to hit 2 people though, if it was just a blank with some garbage in the barrel i can see one person being injured/killed but 2 is bizarre!
Barbu
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
A case of gross negligence.
Gaddafi
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As someone who has hunted for decades, I must say Alec Baldwin is personally responsible for this and deserves to be charged. Ultimately he was the one to pull the trigger.

You never ever take another persons word on whether the gun you're being handed is loaded or what ammo it has. You always presume that a gun is loaded and treat it like it is. You also check yourself on what ammo is there. I learnt this when I was 5.

Frankly if Baldwin had spent less time whining about the NRA and had attended a safety class, this wouldn't have happened. Awful behavior on his part - someone as unreliable as this should never be allowed near a firearm.
Last edited by Gaddafi; 1 month ago
04MR17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gaddafi)
As someone who has hunted for decades, I must say Alec Baldwin is personally responsible for this and deserves to be charged. Ultimately he was the one to pull the trigger.

You never ever take another persons word on whether the gun you're being handed is loaded or what ammo it has. You always presume that a gun is loaded and treat it like it is. You also check yourself on what ammo is there. I learnt this when I was 5.

Frankly if Baldwin had spent less time whining about the NRA and had attended a safety class, this wouldn't have happened. Awful behavior on his part - someone as unreliable as this should never be allowed near a firearm.
You learnt US Legislation at the age of 5?
Cote1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
I would be surprised if the armorer doesnt face charges for this grotesque cockup, which ultimately falls at his door if he was giving out dodgy blank guns, or ones with live ammunition of all things. I do wonder how he managed to hit 2 people though, if it was just a blank with some garbage in the barrel i can see one person being injured/killed but 2 is bizarre!
The head armorer was a woman. About 24 years old I think I read, or around that age. I think the woman who was killed and the man who was injured were standing pretty close to each other. The investigation will make it clear.
Last edited by Cote1; 1 month ago
miser
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chadmiral Nelson)
Apparently it was a live bullet in the gun and not a blank. Something smells fishy here, there should be no live ammunition anywhere near a film set and it's also very easy to tell the difference between a blank round and live round. Not in any way suggesting Alec himself had anything to do with it, but whoever is in charge of handling the props should be thoroughly investigated.
In the context of film props, live just means the gun is loaded, not that it's got actual bullets. Blanks can still kill.

It looks like a lot of things went wrong in succession for an accident like this to be able to happen, and apparently they had several similar incidents previously (though no one got injured). I think someone will get in real trouble for this.
Barbu
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Here's Aba and Preach's take on it...

I agree with them, this has nothing to do with Gun laws, this was gross negligence on behalf of several people on set, and now a son has lost his mother.
Barbu
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
That's not what he said...
Gaddafi
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I didn't describe any law, just basic firearm safety which I did learn at a young age.
04MR17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Barbu)
That's not what he said...
I didn't describe any law, just basic firearm safety which I did learn at a young age.
Yet you appear to place the legal blame at the foot of one person, so where has your knowledge of US legislation come from?
Gaddafi
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yet you appear to place the legal blame at the foot of one person, so where has your knowledge of US legislation come from?
I said Alec Baldwin is responsible for not checking his gun. He is. I didn't say he is the only person responsible.
04MR17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I said Alec Baldwin is responsible for not checking his gun. He is. I didn't say he is the only person responsible.
Where has it been reported that Baldwin had not "checked" the gun?
Cote1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What appears to be reported as having happened is a loaded gun was put on a tray by the armorer.
At some point after this the Assistant Director, who was injured, picked up the gun and said 'cold gun' and handed it to Alec Baldwin.
Gaddafi
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Where has it been reported that Baldwin had not "checked" the gun?
'Alec Baldwin unaware he was handed loaded weapon'

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-10-22/...set-police-say
04MR17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
'Alec Baldwin unaware he was handed loaded weapon'

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-10-22/...set-police-say
That's not the same thing though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.62%
Okay (106)
29.12%
A bit lacking (135)
37.09%
Not good at all (88)
24.18%

Watched Threads