Is mentioning game titles allowed in personal statements

Watch
erishkigal
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a few games that I want to include writing my PS but I don't know if it's allowed. Or do I just generalise the type of game it was...
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Why would you mention games in a ps?
erishkigal
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Why would you mention games in a ps?
Because it's what got me into the subject.... lol I have nothing else that influenced me
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I mean yes it's allowed in the same way you could discuss book, film, and other media titles. What course are you applying to and what game is it? If it's e.g. law and Ace Attorney then absolutely don't bring that up because it's really so tangential...

The question is whether it's actually relevant - as above something vaguely related isn't worth mentioning. If you're applying to a games related course (e.g. games development) then I imagine it's very relevant to discuss certain games from a critical perspective. Likewise for literary analysis based courses (e.g. English lit/fiilm/media studies) it may be relevant to discuss games as a form of narrative media that can be analysed.

Note that you don't need to explain the genesis of wanting to study a particular subject in your PS, you can just discuss what you are currently doing in relation to that subject to explore your interests in it. You need to show your interest in the subject, not tell them how you became interested in it.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
To add to the above, you could focus on the WHY NOW instead
Tutor_della
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think you should focus on things that add value. If games add value, yes. If it is irrelevant, then don't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed