JaffaNeko
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm looking for opinions on the two universities (Leeds and Sheffield) specifically for their Biological Sciences. I'm applying for an MSc but I'm stuck on which would be the better place to study.

From the Uni league tables, Leeds is generally ranked higher as a Uni but Sheffield is further up in rank just based off BioSci.
The Leeds courses are more desirable and I like the selection of modules. It's also a good history of rewards.

However, Sheffield is ranked higher in research intensity, quality and satisfaction.

Are there any past students here that can share your experience, benefits and downfalls?

Thank you.
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Ignore League Tables - they cannot tell you if you will like the course or enjoy being at that Uni, and 'a few points apart' really isnt a sensible way to choose a Uni. You need to look at the courses - all the optional units fpr all years of the course and see which degree gives you the most flexibility as your academic interests develop. Are there any 'extras' like study abroad, industrial placements etc - these will add a big plus to your graduate CV.
Fruity Girl
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Saw an article in the summer saying the biological sciences department at Leeds would be losing half its funding - not sure if its correct but is concerning for the future in terms of morale for the staff, modules offered and facilities spend. Both places look great and staff appeared positive with strong courses and research. Leeds is a party place and my older kids have partied there when visiting friends and say its great. Sheffield seemed very friendly. Will try and find the article.
Fruity Girl
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
https://www.leedsucu.org.uk/formal-d...-redundancies/ this isn't it but is a union related document
JaffaNeko
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
You'd think in this time and age with the current climate and covid that the bio department would receive better support. Hoping it's not true and they find a solution as it would be such a shame to lose out on al of that talent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.85%
Okay (94)
28.92%
A bit lacking (118)
36.31%
Not good at all (81)
24.92%

Watched Threads