The Student Room Group

How to get swap my degree into Quantity Surveying Degree

Hey guys. How's everyone doing? I just wanted to get an idea of what a degree in Quantity surveying is like for a first year undergraduate student? What sorts of things do you learn? How hard is it if you didn't do Maths or a Maths-related subject at A level? What sorts of jobs can you get through this type of degree? How easy is it to switch to this degree? What are the main pieces of advice you would give to someone who's considering swapping to this degree or possibly taking a gap year to take this degree next year? Thanks so much in advance for all you help and advice
(Course leader for Real Estate at Birmingham City here)
I don't think there's any Quantity Surveying (QS) course in the country that insists on A-level maths. Good arithmetic should really be all that's needed for cost control purposes.
Have a search for RICS what surveyors do - that should give some good examples of QS work (and other built environment disciplines)

As the tech changes and develops I think we're seeing more of an overlap between QS and construction management (our QS and CM courses do share several modules beyond the first year basics). In more complex schemes QSs are using building information modelling (BIM - basically enhanced CAD) but this is all taught from scratch, excel skills will be useful and also will be developed over the course of a degree.

Our first year we have common modules across the built environment on construction tech, law, built environment generally, there are then more focussed modules on the BIM stuff.

If you're already at university - unless it started term very late you're probably too late to transfer course for this academic year.

What is it that makes you think you should change to QS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending