The Student Room Group

Non-stem A Level choices but wanting to study CS?

I’m really passionate about and enjoy essay-based subjects and philosophy so I’m planning on taking A Level RS (AQA).

I’ve also studied music my entire life and, although I’d never do it as a career, I enjoy studying the theoretical side and composition so I’m going to take Edexcel Music too.

They’re both supposedly really hard and intensive subjects and I’m planning on doing an EPQ alongside them so I hope I’ll manage.

The only place I really see myself having a career in though is computer science or academia/law. I’d love to do a degree in computer science but top unis require A Level Maths so I think that I’m going to have to take that if I wanna keep my options open. I don’t really want to take CS at a level either as I’d be replacing either RS or Music and it’s not mandatory nor taught well at my 6th.

I’ve not really got a clue what I want to do at uni after a levels hence why I’m trying to keep my options open.

How intensive will it be studying 3 hard a levels alongside an EPQ and a part time job? Is there anything I can do during Y12/13 to keep up my CS knowledge and ambition in the meantime while I’m not studying it? What’s A Level RS like? Are my choices appropriate?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by JacobPC
I’m really passionate about and enjoy essay-based subjects and philosophy so I’m planning on taking A Level RS (AQA).

I’ve also studied music my entire life and, although I’d never do it as a career, I enjoy studying the theoretical side and composition so I’m going to take Edexcel Music too.

They’re both supposedly really hard and intensive subjects and I’m planning on doing an EPQ alongside them so I hope I’ll manage.

The only place I really see myself having a career in though is computer science or academia/law. I’d love to do a degree in computer science but top unis require A Level Maths so I think that I’m going to have to take that if I wanna keep my options open. I don’t really want to take CS at a level either as I’d be replacing either RS or Music and it’s not mandatory nor taught well at my 6th.

I’ve not really got a clue what I want to do at uni after a levels hence why I’m trying to keep my options open.

How intensive will it be studying 3 hard a levels alongside an EPQ and a part time job? Is there anything I can do during Y12/13 to keep up my CS knowledge and ambition in the meantime while I’m not studying it? What’s A Level RS like? Are my choices appropriate?

I think 3 A levels and an EPQ should be manageable, I have a bunch of friends who do that as well as having a job.

To keep up your CS knowledge try and do programming. When going to uni you'll most likely start a new programming language so just pick a language you have done before or try a new one. There are tonnes of free online courses that you could do.

I do A level maths and music (not RS tho - I do further maths and computing) and I think it's a great combo personally. I'm also gonna go to uni to do maths and computer science.
Reply 2
Bump
Reply 3
I would go for maths over one of your options, a lot of universities don't require computer science A-Levels and prefer Maths.

Freshen up your knowledge of basic programming concepts and try to spend time completing small projects that polish up your skills.

I have a friend who is doing RS for A-Level, according to him its not the worst, it is an essay heavy topic and not the hardest.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending