The Student Room Group

I don't know what to choose

I don't really find any degree course exciting however, I am in the dilemma of either choosing pharmacy at Nottingham or chemistry at UCL and I am very unsure on what to do. On one hand, there is pharmacy at Notts which I would slightly prefer because of the social life, the course and the beautiful campus I've already gone and seen but on the other hand, there is UCL which I think might be better because of the job prospects after especially because I am still unsure on what I want to do in m life (I really don't want to take a gap year). Please help me make a decision I'm not sure I have my priorities straight and tbh I keep going around in circles and the people around me are not helping much when I talk to them.
You are going to work until you are 70. So probably around 50 years away! If you don't know what to do, then take a gap year, one year isn't going to matter in the scheme of things.

Have you done any work experience in a community pharmacy to see what it is like day to day?
Are you aware of all the problems and challenges pharmacy faces in the 2020s?

As for chemistry, what would you do with that? Carry on and do a PhD? Try and join a chemical or pharmaceutical company and work in research and development in labs? Become a science/ chemistry teacher?

I would recommend an online personality quiz, Myers-Briggs to find your personality type, and that will highlight careers that would suit your personality.
Then I would do some online quizzes on ' how to choose a career at age 18 '

As well as thinking what the 3 or 4 yrs of the degree will teach you, you must think hard about what kind of work you will be doing in 4 or 5 yrs time. They are very different degrees and lead to very different kinds of jobs. If you hate people you will be no good dealing with the general public in a community pharmacy, but may be suited to lone working in a lab. Similarly, if you an energetic 'people person' you might enjoy helping people and find lab work boring???

Does your 6th form college have a decent careers service advice centre you can access for some detailed help?
(Before you spend £37k in fees!!)
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending