IndiFeast
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I wondered if anyone had insight into how the allocation system works now. I understand that applications to colleges are assessed in random order after departments have accepted applicants. What I want to confirm is whether you are less likely to get into a college you listed as third preference, if first and second preferences are full, than if you had listed that college first?

So if somebody puts Castle as their first choice of college, and say, St Chad's as second, are they less likely to get into Chad's when Castle inevitably rejects them that those who put it top of their list?

If not, then there's no strategic advantage of opting for a first choice college that is not so oversubscribed, and everyone may as well have a stab at Castle (for example)?

Thanks, I hope that made sense!
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Swear when I was allocated it was out of a hat. But then again, catered far out numbers self-catered.
IndiFeast
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by random_matt)
Swear when I was allocated it was out of a hat. But then again, catered far out numbers self-catered.
I think they changed it this year or last year? Think you used to only express one preference, so that if you didn't get it you were randomly allocated somewhere else. Whereas now with the ranking system, it's extremely unlikely you'd get a college that was your 15th or 16th choice. Please correct me if I'm wrong though; this is just what I've gleaned from reading older threads on TSR.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IndiFeast)
I think they changed it this year or last year? Think you used to only express one preference, so that if you didn't get it you were randomly allocated somewhere else. Whereas now with the ranking system, it's extremely unlikely you'd get a college that was your 15th or 16th choice. Please correct me if I'm wrong though; this is just what I've gleaned from reading older threads on TSR.
I see, my offer was a few years ago. Cannot say what they do now.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes - it was changed last year.

I think it's probably correct to assume that someone who put Chad's as first is certainly more likely to get into Chad's than someone who put it second and got rejected from their first choice. If I had to guess, they probably have a system in which all the first choices are distributed, and then if you didn't get your first, they work down your list until there's a college with a space (but probably simultaneously, so everyone's second choice, everyone's third etc.)

So if I applied for Chad's, then Castle, then Collingwood, and I didn't get Chad's, Castle is already full but there are remaining spaces in Collingwood, I'd be allocated Collingwood.

All speculative, of course, but it would make sense?
IndiFeast
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Yes - it was changed last year.

I think it's probably correct to assume that someone who put Chad's as first is certainly more likely to get into Chad's than someone who put it second and got rejected from their first choice. If I had to guess, they probably have a system in which all the first choices are distributed, and then if you didn't get your first, they work down your list until there's a college with a space (but probably simultaneously, so everyone's second choice, everyone's third etc.)

So if I applied for Chad's, then Castle, then Collingwood, and I didn't get Chad's, Castle is already full but there are remaining spaces in Collingwood, I'd be allocated Collingwood.

All speculative, of course, but it would make sense?
Yes it would make sense, although the process they describe on the website implies that it's more about having the good luck to be at the top of the pile when colleges are allocated.

I suspect there's no point in trying to choose tactically. I think the main benefit of the new system is that, if you fail to get your first choice, you at least aren't then randomly allocated to what would have been your last choice. Really any college in my top 12 or so I'd be really happy with.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
Yes it would make sense, although the process they describe on the website implies that it's more about having the good luck to be at the top of the pile when colleges are allocated.

I suspect there's no point in trying to choose tactically. I think the main benefit of the new system is that, if you fail to get your first choice, you at least aren't then randomly allocated to what would have been your last choice. Really any college in my top 12 or so I'd be really happy with.
Everyone loves where they end up anyway and claim that their college is the best, so I don't think there's too much to worry about
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads