SongBird2020
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I just submitted an assignment and I have a really high turnitin score of 33%. It is mainly flagging up my reference list, i think like 25 % is coming just from the list. But there's still a few sentences here and there that it is still detecting, this is the highest score i've gotten in an assignment so far at uni and I'm really stressed. Is this really bad?
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
This is news to me. I went all the way through to postgrad thinking anything below 60% was the cats pyjamas
SongBird2020
Rep:
(Original post by Trinculo)
This is news to me. I went all the way through to postgrad thinking anything below 60% was the cats pyjamas
So is this good or bad? Considering my uni says that the generally accepted turnitin score is between 18%-20%
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
33% is fine if most of it isn’t the body of your writing. I’m sure I had a score like that once and nothing happened.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SongBird2020)
So I just submitted an assignment and I have a really high turnitin score of 33%. It is mainly flagging up my reference list, i think like 25 % is coming just from the list. But there's still a few sentences here and there that it is still detecting, this is the highest score i've gotten in an assignment so far at uni and I'm really stressed. Is this really bad?
Hi there,

I would say that a score above 25% would be looked at in slightly more detail, but once the marker sees that the majority is due to reference list then they will take that into account and mark it as usual. The score is just a tool that helps to identify where there may be an issue. So its sounds like you'll be okay

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
SongBird2020
Rep:
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
33% is fine if most of it isn’t the body of your writing. I’m sure I had a score like that once and nothing happened.
Yeah a lot of it is sentences from papers that have been submitted by other students at different universities so it won't let me see the source so I could re-word it. There's maybe 3 or 4 sentences that have words in the same order but they are taken from papers with different contexts and obviously the entire reference list/bibliography is highlighted. So there's really not much I can do here....
Joinedup
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I used to do my reference list as a separate document and paste it in to the main doc as a last job. Your reference list is obviously going to be full of well known books and papers that are going to be in lots of other peoples reference lists, don't even worry about that.

Some subjects just have unavoidable frequently used phrases that trigger turnitin - it's not worth trying to think of a new way of describing some concept that's got a well known phrase already widely used in the literature.
gjd800
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You will be fine, don't worry
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.85%
Okay (94)
28.92%
A bit lacking (118)
36.31%
Not good at all (81)
24.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed