The Student Room Group

How do I find out if a girl has a boyfriend?

I like one of my friends and we have great chemistry but she’s also just a very friendly and talkative person so that’s not proof she likes me. Anyway, I did some snooping on her social media and I can’t find anything that indicates she has a boyfriend. Shes in a couple photos with some guy but it could totally just be family or a family friend. But in all honesty, I can’t imagine a girl so funny, kind and good looking to be single for very long so I think it’s best to assume she’s in a relationship. I’ve known her for a month and not once has she talked about a boyfriend to me or our friend group. Her sister who I’m also friends with hasn’t mentioned her being in a relationship or anything either

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why would I ask her, that’d make things super awkward. People say this stuff is creepy but lots of people do this. You make it sound like I’m tracking her every move, looking into old family photos and all that bs lmao. I literally just looked at a few photos she took this year
Original post by Iownuk
I like one of my friends and we have great chemistry but she’s also just a very friendly and talkative person so that’s not proof she likes me. Anyway, I did some snooping on her social media and I can’t find anything that indicates she has a boyfriend. Shes in a couple photos with some guy but it could totally just be family or a family friend. But in all honesty, I can’t imagine a girl so funny, kind and good looking to be single for very long so I think it’s best to assume she’s in a relationship. I’ve known her for a month and not once has she talked about a boyfriend to me or our friend group. Her sister who I’m also friends with hasn’t mentioned her being in a relationship or anything either

Ask her. Worst care scenario, she says yes, and you don't lose anything
Reply 3
Original post by owenpritch
Ask her. Worst care scenario, she says yes, and you don't lose anything

Actually she will know I like her if I’m asking her such an obvious question. Then if it turns out she does have a bf, she will know I like her and it’ll get awkward lmao
Original post by Iownuk

As above, you ask her.
Stop snooping.
She’s your friend-it’s fairly easy to pop it into conversation like it’s no big deal.

You know what they say when you assume- only it’s all you.
Reply 5
Original post by GabiAbi84
As above, you ask her.
Stop snooping.
She’s your friend-it’s fairly easy to pop it into conversation like it’s no big deal.

You know what they say when you assume- only it’s all you.

Yeah maybe but I’m not so charismatic and socially skilled that I can pull that off I think. I’ll probably just give it more time as I’ve only known her a month so I’ll find out eventually as she likes talking a lot haha
Original post by Iownuk
Actually she will know I like her if I’m asking her such an obvious question. Then if it turns out she does have a bf, she will know I like her and it’ll get awkward lmao

What's so shameful about her knowing you're interested? Ego should really not be so important it leads to all this complication.
Original post by Iownuk
Yeah maybe but I’m not so charismatic and socially skilled that I can pull that off I think. I’ll probably just give it more time as I’ve only known her a month so I’ll find out eventually as she likes talking a lot haha

Oh well, you snooze you lose. 🤷🏼*♀️
Reply 8
Original post by xxx0xxxo
What's so shameful about her knowing you're interested? Ego should really not be so important it leads to all this complication.

It not really ego, more like it could make our friendship kind of awkward if it turns out she does have a bf. I’m trying my best to not get attached to her because I think there’s a good chance she has a bf
Reply 9
Oh well, you snooze you lose. 🤷🏼*♀️

I lose nothing this way tbf. Saves a friendship and potential embarrassment
Original post by Iownuk
I lose nothing this way tbf. Saves a friendship and potential embarrassment

You lose the potential gain.
But if you’d already decided you were going to do nothing-why did you ask?
Reply 11
You lose the potential gain.
But if you’d already decided you were going to do nothing-why did you ask?

That’s a good question. I guess I was hoping someone could tell me of a socially acceptable way to ask her if she has a boyfriend without the implication that I like her
Hire a private investigator.
The best ones always have a long waist coat, fedora, aviators and a cigarette. Bonus points if they only speak to you when its dark.
Reply 13
Agree it not great asking directly, it’s sort of presumptuous that if not she’s available and awkward if she has. Maybe just flirt a bit more and see if its returned. Or innocently ask someone in the friendship group, or invite her to a group event and say bring your partner too
Original post by Iownuk
It not really ego, more like it could make our friendship kind of awkward if it turns out she does have a bf. I’m trying my best to not get attached to her because I think there’s a good chance she has a bf

It already sounds awkward because you like her at least things can be honest
Is it necessary?
Ask her whilst you're having a casual conversation with her how I broke the question was like this:

Hey Nora! How are you today? Wow! Mike and Sarah are going out at the moment? They look so cuteeeeee do you have a boyfriend Nora are you too close like that?

And that is how I found out that Nora did have a boyfriend :smile: what is awkward about that if you are just adding it into the conversation?
Go get her Tiger!
:nyan:
Original post by Iownuk

Ask her indirectly like this

Oh ur *insert name*’s girl no?

See if she don’t have a man she’ll say “no 😅 I don’t have a boyfriend” however if she does she’ll say that’s not my boyfriend

Boom
I made that up btw, good eh 😌👈🏽🤣✌️
Reply 18
Original post by Ax Sleepy
Ask her indirectly like this

Oh ur *insert name*’s girl no?

See if she don’t have a man she’ll say “no 😅 I don’t have a boyfriend” however if she does she’ll say that’s not my boyfriend

Boom
I made that up btw, good eh 😌👈🏽🤣✌️

Okay this I can actually pull off thank you so much 😂
If you are too scared to ask whether she has a boyfriend how is she going to respect you as a man

Quick Reply

Latest