Couttsie
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am absolutely bricking it as uni application deadlines are getting closer. I thought I'd settled on what I wanted to do recently, but I think I was wrong and I really have no clue what to do about it.
For years I wanted to study acting for film/TV and then do a masters in directing for film/tv or the other way around. At one point I had ambitions to go and study in New York too. Someone I met in sixthform convinced me somewhat that I shouldn't study acting unless I was really really committed to it. So I convinced myself that I didn't want a life running around scrounging for roles or funding for my own projects, so I swapped out this plan for my other mega passion in life- Motorsport. I adore it, and always have. It only dawned on me recently that I could study journalism and become a part of the media that covers the various sectors of Motorsport. I have pursued this and I know I can get into my preferred uni course doing this, I've worked toward it and now even got some experience in the industry. Because I love both acting and motorsports so much, I thought I would probably be just fine swapping it out. But now I feel torn between the two. It isn't too late to go back on what I've been preparing to do at uni and go to drama school, and in the last few days I've been panicking about it because frankly I don't want to give up either. I don't think I could break into either industry without the training from a uni course, because I was thinking I could do the journalism at uni and do auditions ect as much as possible on the side, but I do not have any family in acting, nor anyone to ask about how to go about breaking into it independently at all. I don't want money or fame, I just adore acting and the challenge of it, it's great fun and I love movies. I dream of working with other super talented actors and creating really interesting pieces of work, that as a bonus other people can enjoy! It's the joy of film! I know I am a good actor, and a good writer, I could do a really good job and give so much to both careers and I want to do both equally so now I have no idea what to do.
I know this was a long post, so thanks to anyone who has read it. Any advice or guidance would be really really helpful because frankly, I am PANICKING
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
What acting have you done outside of school?
Couttsie
Rep:
(Original post by 04MR17)
What acting have you done outside of school?
I've been in plays at my local theatre and I was part of their youth company. Honestly, it's only been a few years that I ever thought of pursing acting in anyway, let alone as a career. It really was not something I was pushed to as a child. Then covid came along and it hasn't really opened everything up again since. So basically. Not loads.
04MR17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Couttsie)
I've been in plays at my local theatre and I was part of their youth company. Honestly, it's only been a few years that I ever thought of pursing acting in anyway, let alone as a career. It really was not something I was pushed to as a child. Then covid came along and it hasn't really opened everything up again since. So basically. Not loads.
So you have no experience in acting for screen?

I would not advise pursuing a career in something you've yet to try, to be honest.
Couttsie
Rep:
(Original post by 04MR17)
So you have no experience in acting for screen?

I would not advise pursuing a career in something you've yet to try, to be honest.
At somepoint everyone has no experience. I don't think that's a good reason to not begin something. If it were, no one would do anything.
And besides, I have acting experience, I have studied drama and film, the only thing I haven't done is professional work. My question wasn't really IF i should pursue this- more HOW can I go about it, alongside my other passion in life.
04MR17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Couttsie)
At somepoint everyone has no experience. I don't think that's a good reason to not begin something. If it were, no one would do anything.
And besides, I have acting experience, I have studied drama and film, the only thing I haven't done is professional work. My question wasn't really IF i should pursue this- more HOW can I go about it, alongside my other passion in life.
Then my advice is to go about it by acquiring experience of acting for the screen before taking any further steps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (17)
8.9%
Okay (57)
29.84%
A bit lacking (67)
35.08%
Not good at all (50)
26.18%

Watched Threads