Education with Psychology personal statement help

Watch
14t
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Obviously not going to copy anything but I'm really stuck on how to write my PS, especially start it. I've got the experience as I've worked 12weeks in a primary school, I'm working full time at a nursery atm, I babysit and I'm working as a councillor at a summer camp for 2 months next year. I've always wanted to work with kids and i do have a knack for it. I'm interested in psychology bc ofc its fascinating and I've been in therapy myself so i want to be able to give back to the world. putting all this into formal writing just doesn't compute haha help
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Check the courses you are interested in - this is unlikely to be able to either get you into primary schools (as opposed to a primary teaching degree) or be BPS accredited for being a psychologist (although you don't need a psychology degree to become a counsellor).

Also check out this guidance for more info: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6666418
14t
Rep:
(Original post by Interrobang)
Check the courses you are interested in - this is unlikely to be able to either get you into primary schools (as opposed to a primary teaching degree) or be BPS accredited for being a psychologist (although you don't need a psychology degree to become a counsellor).

Also check out this guidance for more info: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6666418
thanks, surely it means i can become either if i do some further education? if by the end of the degree i want to go into psychology i can do a masters or if i want to become a teacher i can do my QTS
Interrobang
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 14t)
thanks, surely it means i can become either if i do some further education? if by the end of the degree i want to go into psychology i can do a masters or if i want to become a teacher i can do my QTS
If you're not sure, you would be better off doing a psychology degree and then deciding. You could then do teaching (especially primary, but secondary too) or a masters/doctorate to become a psychologist. Otherwise you would need a conversion course before the masters/doctorate. However, to be a therapist you would just need a masters (although not sure if an education-focused one would be accepted)
14t
Rep:
If you're not sure, you would be better off doing a psychology degree and then deciding. You could then do teaching (especially primary, but secondary too) or a masters/doctorate to become a psychologist. Otherwise you would need a conversion course before the masters/doctorate. However, to be a therapist you would just need a masters (although not sure if an education-focused one would be accepted)
my therapist did a BA in French and german to be a teacher then a few years later did an into to counselling course + a masters in psychotherapy and counselling so the masters is what’s important. surely this degree with give me both options?
Interrobang
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 14t)
my therapist did a BA in French and german to be a teacher then a few years later did an into to counselling course + a masters in psychotherapy and counselling so the masters is what’s important. surely this degree with give me both options?
I hadn't looked into counselling/therapy courses, but there might be some limitations. You would have to check, as there are so many of them. But if you wanted to be a psychologist, you would need the conversion course beforehand too, so an extra step.
14t
Rep:
I hadn't looked into counselling/therapy courses, but there might be some limitations. You would have to check, as there are so many of them. But if you wanted to be a psychologist, you would need the conversion course beforehand too, so an extra step.
i don’t want to be a psychologist tbh. i’m leaning more to becoming a teacher (so prost grad get a PGCE) and then once i’m older and want more flexibility, do a masters in psychotherapy and counselling and become a therapist. do u think that’s an option witj my degree choose?
Interrobang
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 14t)
i don’t want to be a psychologist tbh. i’m leaning more to becoming a teacher (so prost grad get a PGCE) and then once i’m older and want more flexibility, do a masters in psychotherapy and counselling and become a therapist. do u think that’s an option witj my degree choose?
As long as the masters you are interested in don't specify a certain degree, then yes. Although a psychology degree would give you more flexibility
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.73%
Okay (97)
29.48%
A bit lacking (119)
36.17%
Not good at all (81)
24.62%

Watched Threads