DPat1210
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm a first year student at the University of Hull starting to look into private accommodation near the university and I was hoping someone who has been in this position could give me some advice on what to look out for. Thanks!

Edit: thanks for the help everyone, I have now managed to book my accommodation for next year.
Last edited by DPat1210; 1 week ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DPat1210)
I'm a first year student at the University of Hull starting to look into private accommodation near the university and I was hoping someone who has been in this position could give me some advice on what to look out for. Thanks!
Hia,

congrats on getting into university! I was in private accommodation in my first year and saw a lot of places. There are some good companies external to university accommodations such as hello student and unite students. If you want more of the first-year experience I'd recommend looking into these as they still use the classic halls layouts. If none of these are available or out of budget there should be freshers housing chats/facebook pages where you can meet people in similar situations and look for houses together, that way you live with all first years. But don't worry about living with people not in your year, I lived with a 2nd and 3rd year student and they showed me the ropes and then moved in with people from my year in second year.

Hope this helps,

UoP rep - Ben
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DPat1210)
Hi Dpat1210

I hope your first year has been going well? There is no need to panic yet, Hull has more rooms available than students as far as I have been told, so unless you are looking for something very specific you have time to look around at a few places. A lot of the accommodation is in the streets off Newland Avenue, so as you are looking at flats make a mental note of streets you like the look of or not, for instance Sharp Street has featured on the Newland Avenue fb group many times regarding troublemakers. Places nearer the Uni tend to be bit more expensive unsurprisingly, but there may be some bargains to be had. I am sure you have seen the agencies along Cottingham Road, University Quarter on Salmon Grove, there are also two or three along Newland as well. So call in and get them to show you some places, and look on the websites in order to get a feel for the market, prices seem to start from about £70.00 for a room in an unrefurbished house. Bear in mind some agents will give you a price without bills, so bear that in mind. It may be more convenient to have bills included, especially if you are sharing.

Obviously, there are also private landlords who may not have fancy web pages, but may well be cheaper. So have a look at sites like sturents etc.

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
GMDB
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
This is a good question but a very broad one - there's lots to think about!

Pay close attention to any negative reviews for a particular accommodation provider on Google or TrustPilot. Look for any consistant themes people have issues with - random issues are less of a concern.

Ensure the place is affordable, and you feel a good distance from the places you will visit most (lecture halls, clubs etc.). Factor in bus pass costs if you need to use a bus to get around.

Whatever you do, take lots of photos when you move in and keep them safe. Also ensure you amend the inventory they provide to note any damage/wear until YOU are happy with it. Then submit it back to the landlord promptly.

Then take lots of photos again when you move out and keep those safe too, they could save you hundreds from you deposit.

For example, there seems to be a current trend for big accommodation providers to provide a stained mattress and then charge the tenant for a new mattress when they move out. But then they don't replace the mattress, leaving the same stained one there. Rinse and repeat. Therefore make sure photos of the mattress are taken when you move in and move out and its condition is recorded in the inventory.

Give me a shout if you want to discuss any deposit issues - I run the UK's online tenant platform (Get My Deposit Back) and happy to help with any issues over DM on here or on Instagram (@GetMyDepositBack).
Last edited by GetMyDepositBack; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (14)
8.59%
Okay (49)
30.06%
A bit lacking (57)
34.97%
Not good at all (43)
26.38%

Watched Threads