The Student Room Group

Can I self-study A level Maths within 6-8 months?

I'm a year and a half into an International Relations degree but I'm not enjoying and don't think it meets my skills, I would like to do Economics and/or Computer Science instead, but anywhere decent requires Maths A-level to do so. I got an 8 in GCSE Maths but have not studied it since, I'm prepared to self-study for hours a day as I'll have no other commitments, in time to enter A-level exams next June. Is this *at all* doable?
Reply 1
Will this be your sole priority?
Reply 2
I did maths at A level in year 12, granted I was given CAG and granted I did have teachers.
I fully believe if you are committed you can finish the syllabus in 8 months, although it will be hard.

I started maths in September and was extremely close to finishing by March when the lockdown happened.
Reply 3
Original post by ajay06
Will this be your sole priority?

This would be my top priority.
Reply 4
I self taught it to myself many years ago now in between year 11 and year 12. So it’s possible.
Reply 5
Original post by Michael444
This would be my top priority.

Then I fully believe its possible
I'm a year and a half into an International Relations degree but I'm not enjoying and don't think it meets my skills, I would like to do Economics and/or Computer Science instead, but anywhere decent requires Maths A-level to do so. I got an 8 in GCSE Maths but have not studied it since, I'm prepared to self-study for hours a day as I'll have no other commitments, in time to enter A-level exams next June. Is this *at all* doable?

SFE won't fund a full degree if you are in your second year.

if thats your only priority then yh i genuinely think you can. just think about it, sometimes when people pick further maths and maths they do maths in first year and FM in second. meaning that its very possible to complete alevel maths in one year WHILST doing 2 other subjects so if u’ve got nothing else to stufdy then u 100% can

I would advise against it, as you are already in your second year of uni. Your options are to stick to this course, or teach yourself a level maths while working to save up tuition costs and maintenance costs for one year.

Quick Reply

Latest