Anee_rk
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Solve the following simultaneous logarithmic equations
y^logx=100
log(sqrt(xy/10))=1
given further that x , y ∈ℝ , with x > 0 , y > 0.
Can someone help me with this question, I keep getting an unsolvable quadratic.
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anee_rk)
y^logx=100
log(sqrt(xy/10))=1
upload what you tried?
Im presuming log is tne natural log, but to get a handle on (guess) the solution, you could assume it was base 10.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
Anee_rk
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
upload what you tried?
Im presuming log is tne natural log, but to get a handle on (guess) the solution, you could assume it was base 10
I realised i made a simple mistake and figured it out, but thanks for the help. Though i am confused on the next one, could i upload that instead?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I realised i made a simple mistake and figured it out, but thanks for the help. Though i am confused on the next one, could i upload that instead?
sure
Anee_rk
Rep:
sure
Name:  madasmaths q3 (2).png
Views: 11
Size:  59.6 KB
Attached files
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Name:  madasmaths q3 (2).png
Views: 11
Size:  59.6 KB
And what do you understand / have problem with?
Anee_rk
Rep:
And what do you understand / have problem with?
im not really sure where to start
Anee_rk
Rep:
Does the first line mean its a constant increasing/decreasing function? how does that help me?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The first line says the rate of change of the gradient is constant.
So write that down clearly and try and solve for that.
Anee_rk
Rep:
The first line says the rate of change of the gradient is constant.
So write that down clearly and try and solve for that.
ive got a few simultaneous equations:
m+c=-1/2
2=m/2+c+d
9m-3c-d=0
Do i solve for m,c, and d, then equate the final function to y=2x to work out where they intersect and then use definite integration to find out area under the curve and subtract it from the area under the line?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
ive got a few simultaneous equations:
m+c=-1/2
2=m/2+c+d
9m-3c-d=0
Do i solve for m,c, and d, then equate the final function to y=2x to work out where they intersect and then use definite integration to find out area under the curve and subtract it from the area under the line?
What curve did you get from the first part (what are the parameters m,c,d)?

Assuming its a quadratic etc, then yes you need to find the points of intersection (roots of curve-line) then use integration to find the area between the curve and the line. So integrate curve-line between the two roots.
Anee_rk
Rep:
What curve did you get from the first part (what are the parameters m,c,d)?

Assuming its a quadratic etc, then yes you need to find the points of intersection (roots of curve-line) then use integration to find the area between the curve and the line. So integrate curve-line between the two roots.
Sorry i had to redo my workings because i made some mistakes but hopefully it is right this time. I got:
m=-1 c=0.5 d=1.5
But yes it is a quadratic.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Sorry i had to redo my workings because i made some mistakes but hopefully it is right this time. I got:
m=-1 c=0.5 d=1.5
But yes it is a quadratic.
Ive not done the numbers, but a quadratic is easy to verify for the 3 points.
So just integrate the curve-line between the roots.
Anee_rk
Rep:
Ive not done the numbers, but a quadratic is easy to verify for the 3 points.
So just integrate the curve-line between the roots.
okay thanks!
Anee_rk
Rep:
Name:  mad as maths q1 (2).png
Views: 4
Size:  14.0 KBWhat is the easiest way to tackle this question?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Name:  mad as maths q1 (2).png
Views: 4
Size:  14.0 KBWhat is the easiest way to tackle this question?
Any ideas?
Anee_rk
Rep:
Any ideas?
I see, i'll start by factorising the quadratic
Mathaddict100
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
y^logx=100
log(sqrt(xy/10))=1
I dont know
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I see, i'll start by factorising the quadratic
Thats one way, then expand each factor^7 up to quadratic then multply out.
Or write it as (1 + (3x+2x^2))^7 and write out the first three terms of the binomial in (3x+2x^2) and combine.
Not a great difference in either way.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
upload what you tried?
Im presuming log is tne natural log, but to get a handle on (guess) the solution, you could assume it was base 10.
because the numbers 10 and 100 feature prominently, it is likely that the logarithm is base 10 :beard:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.78%
Okay (106)
29.61%
A bit lacking (130)
36.31%
Not good at all (87)
24.3%

Watched Threads