whimsicalwhims
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
One of my ideas for a geology-related EPQ is "Have we entered the Anthropocene?" as I noticed that there's a lot of research about it and the term still hasn't been approved.

However, since the existence of the Anthropocene has been debated for a long time now, I'm worried that that the idea might be regarded as too easy or unoriginal by universities. On the other hand, I'm struggling to find any more recent and interesting geological controversies that I'm capable of researching. What do you guys think?
Cote1
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I don't know what originality universities are looking for but, personally, I wouldn't worry about that.

In terms of the EPQ, it is good to show show some original thinking, but I don't think they mark on the
originality of the topic.
whimsicalwhims
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks, I hope so. My backup ideas were "What would life be like if Pangaea still existed" and "Are we going through the sixth mass extinction?" but I don't think there is quite as much research available for those.
Cote1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It is good to choose a topic which has plenty of research available.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by whimsicalwhims)
One of my ideas for a geology-related EPQ is "Have we entered the Anthropocene?" as I noticed that there's a lot of research about it and the term still hasn't been approved.

However, since the existence of the Anthropocene has been debated for a long time now, I'm worried that that the idea might be regarded as too easy or unoriginal by universities. On the other hand, I'm struggling to find any more recent and interesting geological controversies that I'm capable of researching. What do you guys think?
This was literally, word for word, my EPQ title from 6 years ago lol. I think it's an excellent topic to be honest, you're right that it's not exactly a niche topic any more, but it lends itself extremely well to an EPQ. So I would still recommend it, particularly if you haven't formally studied geology before. Your backup ideas are both also good actually (lots of interesting things to look into on how we quantify extinction rates now and in the geological record for the mass extinction one, and palaeoclimate for the other one) although I still think the Anthropocene is more accessible.
Last edited by Plagioclase; 1 month ago
whimsicalwhims
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Wow, that's quite a coincidence! Honestly, I still really like my backup ideas as well, especially the mass extinction one - but I see your point about the Anthropocene one being more accessible. I think I'll bring it up to my geography teacher (and potential supervisor) soon and hopefully that should help me decide. Thank you for your input!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.77%
Okay (66)
28.95%
A bit lacking (85)
37.28%
Not good at all (57)
25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed