How to practice effectively for maths?

Watch
leenthedoormat
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I understand all the concepts but when there’s an exam I fail it. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. How am I supposed to improve? I do practice everyday but it seem like that is not effective as I’m not improving. However, when I’m solving a few questions I’m able to do on my own, in exam mb they complex I can’t solve them or I make such silly mistakes my entire answer comes out wrong. But sometimes I understand I made a mistake and somehow I make that mistake again. I’m have to do maths my entire life bc I’m choosing computer science idk where I’m going with this.

summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by leenthedoormat)
I understand all the concepts but when there’s an exam I fail it. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. How am I supposed to improve? I do practice everyday but it seem like that is not effective as I’m not improving. However, when I’m solving a few questions I’m able to do on my own, in exam mb they complex I can’t solve them or I make such silly mistakes my entire answer comes out wrong. But sometimes I understand I made a mistake and somehow I make that mistake again. I’m have to do maths my entire life bc I’m choosing computer science idk where I’m going with this.
Make flashcards on the question you do wrong.
then solve them again after a week
Chocoholic139
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think one of the main things is knowing what the questions asks you

I am doing a level maths too and it’s pretty hard but things like completing the square, the question will hint to you when u need to do that (x-p)-p^2 etc so try making Flashcards or memorising things like that
leenthedoormat
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
Make flashcards on the question you do wrong.
then solve them again after a week
That is a very good idea, thank you
leenthedoormat
Rep:
(Original post by Chocoholic139)
I think one of the main things is knowing what the questions asks you

I am doing a level maths too and it’s pretty hard but things like completing the square, the question will hint to you when u need to do that (x-p)-p^2 etc so try making Flashcards or memorising things like that
That makes sense, I do fail to understand the question sometimes 😅
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by leenthedoormat)
That is a very good idea, thank you
yeah it works well for me! I was like you because I understand concepts quickly but when I practice I suck, so I made flashcards on all the questions I got wrong and then practiced again and again. Now I'm predicted A*s (not to brag but it works)
leenthedoormat
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
yeah it works well for me! I was like you because I understand concepts quickly but when I practice I suck, so I made flashcards on all the questions I got wrong and then practiced again and again. Now I'm predicted A*s (not to brag but it works)
Oh no that’s a big deal, I hope I’m like you in the future then 🥲
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.63%
Okay (119)
29.38%
A bit lacking (154)
38.02%
Not good at all (93)
22.96%

Watched Threads