A Level Further Maths- FP1 Vector Product

Watch
liamlarner
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Would the fact this vector has magnitude 5 not change anything and essentially is it asking you to just find the vector product to show its perpendicular to 4i+k and √ 2j +k or does the magnitude change the calculation.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 12.24.34.png
Views: 6
Size:  27.0 KB
Last edited by liamlarner; 1 month ago
user342
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by liamlarner)
Would the fact this vector has magnitude 5 not change anything and essentially is it asking you to just find the vector product to show its perpendicular to 4i+k and √ 2j +k or does the magnitude change the calculation.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 12.24.34.png
Views: 6
Size:  27.0 KB
I would find the vector perpendicular to those, without considering the magnitude first. Then find the magnitude of this vector and see what you have to multiply/divide the vector by the make the magnitude 5. Not the greatest explanation so lmk if it doesn't make sense
liamlarner
Rep:
(Original post by user342)
I would find the vector perpendicular to those, without considering the magnitude first. Then find the magnitude of this vector and see what you have to multiply/divide the vector by the make the magnitude 5. Not the greatest explanation so lmk if it doesn't make sense
alright thanks
B_9710
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You are basically just finding  5 \frac{(4,0,1) \times (0, \sqrt 2 , 1)}{ ||(4,0,1) \times (0, \sqrt 2 , 1)||} .
Last edited by B_9710; 1 month ago
liamlarner
Rep:
(Original post by B_9710)
You are basically just finding  5 \frac{(4,0,1) \times (0, \sqrt 2 , 1)}{ ||(4,0,1) \times (0, \sqrt 2 , 1)||} .
yeah I've done it now was best by not considering magnitude till later on in the question as the earlier respondent to this thread advised
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.85%
Okay (65)
28.76%
A bit lacking (85)
37.61%
Not good at all (56)
24.78%

Watched Threads