Should I choose Geography or History A-Level?

Watch
ShadesOfAcademia
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently in Year 11 and picking A-Levels. I am aspiring to study Law at university, and I have already pretty much decided to go with Mathematics, English Literature and Economics for the other three A-Levels.

For GCSEs, I am already doing Geography, and it is a subject that I greatly enjoy and do very well in. However, I am not doing History for GCSE, but I have done well in it in the past and quite enjoyed it; I have heard that it is a useful and well-respected subject for going into Law.

I have several questions regarding this:

1) Would you recommend choosing Geography or History?

2) Do you have any advice for any of the subjects?

3) Is it possible to choose History at A Level if you have not taken it at GCSE, and if so, is it still possible to achieve an A* in it?

4) Is Geography a useful subject for Law?

5) How similar is A-Level Geography to GCSE Geography?

6) If you take both Geography and History A-Levels, which one would you say is more difficult? (I understand that it is a difficult one to answer.)

7) Is Geography also an essay-based subject?

Thank you in advance
cassielle
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I've only taken history at GCSE, so I don't know that much about geography or A Level, but from my experience it was quite enjoyable. I did International Relations (focused mainly on the politics of WW2) and a depth study of Mao's China, and both were very interesting to learn about, although I was quite bad at remembering dates and analysing sources. At my school, you could only take an A Level if you had taken the same subject at GCSE and received at least a grade 8, but I think it depends on your school, so you should probably ask a teacher. I don't know anyone who's taking geography at A Level, but I've heard that history at A Level is a bit of hard work with the essays, especially since the people I know who take history A Level also take other essay based subjects (like RS or French)
ShadesOfAcademia
Rep:
(Original post by cassielle)
I've only taken history at GCSE, so I don't know that much about geography or A Level, but from my experience it was quite enjoyable. I did International Relations (focused mainly on the politics of WW2) and a depth study of Mao's China, and both were very interesting to learn about, although I was quite bad at remembering dates and analysing sources. At my school, you could only take an A Level if you had taken the same subject at GCSE and received at least a grade 8, but I think it depends on your school, so you should probably ask a teacher. I don't know anyone who's taking geography at A Level, but I've heard that history at A Level is a bit of hard work with the essays, especially since the people I know who take history A Level also take other essay based subjects (like RS or French)
Thank you for sharing your experiences. It really helps!
Last edited by ShadesOfAcademia; 1 month ago
lilyjoestar
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Personally I think history would be way more enjoyable! although I'm only doing it for gcse right now, compared to Geography it might be more fun, plus it's more common for Law students to do history I believe? I'm sure both would be good though!
ShadesOfAcademia
Rep:
(Original post by lilyjoestar)
Personally I think history would be way more enjoyable! although I'm only doing it for gcse right now, compared to Geography it might be more fun, plus it's more common for Law students to do history I believe? I'm sure both would be good though!
Thanks for your advice
marweetos
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i think you can pick history a-level even if you didn’t in gcse because they cover almost completely different topics, sometimes yeah there would be stuff you need to know from gcse but it wouldn’t leave you behind, additionally i find history enjoyable and interesting so it’s not something you would get bored off however it does require a lot of memorising
ShadesOfAcademia
Rep:
(Original post by marweetos)
i think you can pick history a-level even if you didn’t in gcse because they cover almost completely different topics, sometimes yeah there would be stuff you need to know from gcse but it wouldn’t leave you behind, additionally i find history enjoyable and interesting so it’s not something you would get bored off however it does require a lot of memorising
Thanks for the information
delinabg
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I do a level geography currently and I am also interested in law. It's definitely harder than GCSE, but the hardest part for me is not the content but exam technique and learning how to write well written exam questions and essay's. It is an essay based subject. I would not reccomend it if you don't enjoy GCSE, to be honest it is probably my least favourite subject out of the ones I am doing but that doesn't mean I dislike it I just find the others a bit more interesting.
ShadesOfAcademia
Rep:
(Original post by delinabg)
I do a level geography currently and I am also interested in law. It's definitely harder than GCSE, but the hardest part for me is not the content but exam technique and learning how to write well written exam questions and essay's. It is an essay based subject. I would not reccomend it if you don't enjoy GCSE, to be honest it is probably my least favourite subject out of the ones I am doing but that doesn't mean I dislike it I just find the others a bit more interesting.
Thank you for your reply and sharing your thoughts! It's very helpful to know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.8%
Okay (106)
29.69%
A bit lacking (130)
36.41%
Not good at all (86)
24.09%

Watched Threads