Experience of University of Portsmouth after peak COVID into 21/22

Watch
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thought it would be helpful for people wanting to know what University is like now after peak COVID times.

Portsmouth is currently using blended learning however every course is slightly different!

For architecture (which I study) we have studio 10-5 in person and our other lectures are online. However I am year rep and we are talking with our year head how we can arrange our timetable in a way that is most beneficial for everyone - using the flexibility of online but also making sure that our course is still as engaging and interactive as possible. Our faculty has still been very cautious with mask wearing and providing hand sanitiser and making sure everything is cleaned and COVID safe.

Share your experience of your course so far!

All the best - Jubilee UoP Rep
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Thought it would be helpful for people wanting to know what University is like now after peak COVID times.

Portsmouth is currently using blended learning however every course is slightly different!

For architecture (which I study) we have studio 10-5 in person and our other lectures are online. However I am year rep and we are talking with our year head how we can arrange our timetable in a way that is most beneficial for everyone - using the flexibility of online but also making sure that our course is still as engaging and interactive as possible. Our faculty has still been very cautious with mask wearing and providing hand sanitiser and making sure everything is cleaned and COVID safe.

Share your experience of your course so far!

All the best - Jubilee UoP Rep
I dont go Portsmouth, I go loughborough and study computer science but thought it might be useful to provide my experience.

I am a first year student going into my 4th week of my course and so far it's been alright. The first two weeks alternated between online & in person and they gave the flexibility of attending online even if you was timetabled to attend an in person session. This was because for every in person session they had an online MS Teams meeting running as well so in essence, everything was dual delivery.

However since covid cases are on the lowdown within the uni community, all classes are now operating at 80% capacity whereas for the first two weeks it was 50% capacity. As such, for me pretty much everything is now in person with the exception of one tutorial which is online. So yeahh I have to attend everything in person pretty much and they are tracking in person attendance only so they can see everyone transitioning smoothly into in person teaching.

I dont think we will revert back to fully online or even hybrid learning unless the gov impose restrictions or if cases pop off like a mad one then yeahh first thing they will do is go hybrid and if that happens I guess really the only thing that makes sense to stay in person is our practical and lab sessions, even tho we can do it remotely it always does help to be in person.

I was gonna suggest our tutorials stay in person if we go hybrid but the only module I have a tutorial for is software engineering and that is like over 150 students so yeahh we are better off keeping that online.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.93%
Okay (65)
29.02%
A bit lacking (84)
37.5%
Not good at all (55)
24.55%

Watched Threads