The Student Room Group

extracurriculars

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I just wanted to ask if anyone recommends any sort of clubs or activities that are in London, which I could take part in as extracurriculars on the weekends, or maybe once a week. I play some piano, but I am self taught and can only play some. I am interested in art, or any sort of leisure activities.
Thank you so much in advance.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Heya.

I think its great to start small and create a log of all activities you have done big or small. Just because I know that when you obvi want create the best application possible and seeing everything you've already accomplished will give you a ' Hey, well done. You aren't at 0%' .

Now to actually answer your question 😭...
1. I think go as high as you can in piano, it's better to be top in a few things than ok in many. I think also because you started as self-taught the admissions officers will eat that up.
2. What are you genuinely interested in... Like you said you like art so why not do a research project surrounding art or maybe even creating a piece of art to submit.
3. Passion projects are very good also.
4. As for leisure, don't do it if you don't mean it. Admission officers can sense whether or not you are doing something for an extra point or if it's a genuine passion or interest. So try think of something out of the box like maybe a 10K charity walk to raise money for children who can't afford instruments.
5. Whatever you do make sure it has something to do with your passion. They want a well-rounded class not student, put all your eggs in one or two baskets ( maybe find a connection between the two) rather than one egg in piano, art, tennis, and I don't know 'science'.

AND BE YOURSELF!
Original post by Marr.sar
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and I just wanted to ask if anyone recommends any sort of clubs or activities that are in London, which I could take part in as extracurriculars on the weekends, or maybe once a week. I play some piano, but I am self taught and can only play some. I am interested in art, or any sort of leisure activities.
Thank you so much in advance.

Tbh extracurriculars not related to your course don't matter much in UK unis
Reply 3
Original post by summerbirdreads
Tbh extracurriculars not related to your course don't matter much in UK unis

I think she is talking about the US unis because its in the North America section😭
Original post by dangotes
I think she is talking about the US unis because its in the North America section😭

Oh okay! I thought the forum thing was an accident
Reply 5
Original post by dangotes

Thanks so much for the reply, and I don't know how this forum ended up in the North American section, but I wanted to do extra curriculars outside my field (being science and maths), because my school has highly advised me to, if I do supposedly decide to go into medicine, (I'm still unsure on what I specifically want to study all I know is that it's something to do with STEM).
Thanks so much for the reply, and I don't know how this forum ended up in the North American section, but I wanted to do extra curriculars outside my field (being science and maths), because my school has highly advised me to, if I do supposedly decide to go into medicine, (I'm still unsure on what I specifically want to study all I know is that it's something to do with STEM).

Like I said for most UK unis extracurriculars not related to the subject won't matter, even for Oxbridge/Imperial
Reply 7
Like I said for most UK unis extracurriculars not related to the subject won't matter, even for Oxbridge/Imperial

that's what I thought but the uni team and advisors in my school recommended that for medicine we have super curriculars as well as extra curriculars, because it shows that we aren't just focused on academics and that we have other ways to deal with the stresses of the field.
that's what I thought but the uni team and advisors in my school recommended that for medicine we have super curriculars as well as extra curriculars, because it shows that we aren't just focused on academics and that we have other ways to deal with the stresses of the field.

But isn't that usually work experience?
Reply 9
But isn't that usually work experience?

I think work experience counts as super curriculars because its to do with the field you want to go into, so I'd have to get work experience in a lab and hospital setting, as well as extra curriculars outside my field.
I think work experience counts as super curriculars because its to do with the field you want to go into, so I'd have to get work experience in a lab and hospital setting, as well as extra curriculars outside my field.

should be able to help
i know this thread is a bit old but as a student in the US it is constantly drilled into us that extracurriculars are crucial for college apps. something to note with medicine, a lot of medical schools here prefer students who do not study typical premed courses in undergrad because it shows more varied interests and helps build a diverse program.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending