Homeless person asked me to go to ATM for her when I said “I don’t have cash”

Watch
Biobobz
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So this morning I was doing weekly food shopping. There was a homeless person outside the shop asking for money I didn’t have change but I bought them a to-go-meal. When I got out and gave it to her. She was like “no no no I want change” I said “sorry I don’t have any” she then pointed to the ATM point and said “you get change there” i said “sorry can’t do that” I put the food next to her and I started to walk off. She looked so disappointed she said “nonono I want change” as I walked off not even a thank you. Did I do anything wrong I was upset a bit by it I was only trying to help but she pointed to ATM when I said I don’t have change. We’re I live the ATMs have a minimum withdrawal of £20 which is almost twice my weekly food budget, I can’t afford to get her a whole £20
Rain_
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
i dont think you did anything wrong, it was very nice of you to buy them a meal and its a shame they didnt seem pleased with it, maybe they needed cash for some accommodation?

next time i would just say, i cant give you any cash but i can buy you some food and a drink if you like?, and buy them what they would like - as long as its within your budget.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You didn't do anything wrong, no. If you can't afford to give money, then you can't afford to.

I wouldn't take it personally about them not wanting the food either.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rain_)
i dont think you did anything wrong, it was very nice of you to buy them a meal and its a shame they didnt seem pleased with it, maybe they needed cash for some accommodation?

next time i would just say, i cant give you any cash but i can buy you some food and a drink if you like?, and buy them what they would like - as long as its within your budget.
Or more likely crack cocaine, but I like the fact you optimistically thought it was for shelter.
thomasgrta
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Rain_)

Definitely just gonna buy crack or something. People that desperate for money, it’s always drugs related.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You should report it to the shop staff, and especially if it happens again. It's intimidation to be asking for money, and people shouldn't feel pressured to give anything or use an ATM.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Yeah this happens. One guy in my local area kept asking me for change and begging (I was a student) and I said sorry don't have cash, he whipped out a card reader and I said no sorry, then he totally turned on me and leered and went yeahhh see? you're all the same. Just so rude and bitter, expecting everyone to be so comfortably well off there's no excuse not to give him change. He was also totally alert and young and fit looking that I wondered what his situation was that he can't work even in a very basic job.
dannyboy1021
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
lol the audacity... you did more than enough, most ppl walk on and avoid eye contact
Rain_
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thomasgrta)
Definitely just gonna buy crack or something. People that desperate for money, it’s always drugs related.
i dont think its fair to assume that they will spend the money on drugs or alcohol, i know its very common but i also think some homeless people have just been very unfortunate and are genuinely struggling to get back on their feet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.89%
Okay (105)
29.66%
A bit lacking (129)
36.44%
Not good at all (85)
24.01%

Watched Threads