I don't understand why the discriminant is used here

Watch
val7322
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I don't understand the answer to the question
Attached files
Last edited by val7322; 1 month ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by val7322)
I don't understand the answer to the question
For (b) the discriminant tels us information about how many real roots the quadratic has.

discrimant > 0 two real roots; = 0 two equal roots: < 0 no real roots
val7322
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
For (b) the discriminant tels us information about how many real roots the quadratic has.

discrimant > 0 two real roots; = 0 two equal roots: < 0 no real roots
but its asking for the range of values for a not for the number of roots?
leenthedoormat
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The thing is I don’t understand either. We’re the same bro.
The A.G
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You sub the equations together and rearrange which gives you a general equation where a varies.For the graphs to have two points of intersection the general equation found needs to have two roots,thus you use discriminant
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I thought you wrre asking about part (b)

For (c) put the two equations equal - reaarange into a quadratic then you know the dicriminant must be >0

Do that and post what you get - then we can look at solving the inequality.
Last edited by Muttley79; 1 month ago
val7322
Rep:
(Original post by The A.G)
You sub the equations together and rearrange which gives you a general equation where a varies.For the graphs to have two points of intersection the general equation found needs to have two roots,thus you use discriminant
but what does a<-7/16 mean
The A.G
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It’s the condition that when a is less than -7/16 the graphs will have two points of intersection
B_9710
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Consider an easier example if you are confused. Consider the curve  y=x^2 + a and the line  y=0 which is of course just the x-axis. You should be able to see that if a>0 then the curve lies completely above the x-axis so there are no points where the graphs intersect. If a=0 then there is a single (repeated) root. If a<0 then there are two distinct points of intersection.
So if someone told you that the curve  y=x^2 +a crosses the x-axis at two distinct points then you’d have to have a<0.
This is the same as your example, it’s just a bit more complicated.
val7322
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by B_9710)
Consider an easier example if you are confused. Consider the curve  y=x^2 + a and the line  y=0 which is of course just the x-axis. You should be able to see that if a>0 then the curve lies completely above the x-axis so there are no points where the graphs intersect. If a=0 then there is a single (repeated) root. If a<0 then there are two distinct points of intersection.
So if someone told you that the curve  y=x^2 +a crosses the x-axis at two distinct points then you’d have to have a<0.
This is the same as your example, it’s just a bit more complicated.
thank you so much, i understand now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (65)
32.99%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27.41%
No (52)
26.4%
I'm not sure (26)
13.2%

Watched Threads