Should you study to be a translators

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Do we need roles like translators? we got apps that can translate
grey-giraffe
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
It's not always possible to directly translate between two languages, and a lot of meaning can be lost using translator apps. Speech-to-text translator apps also might not recognise certain words/sounds well or might not be effective when the speaker has a speech impediment, etc. There's also the considerations when translating sign language, as there's the actual signing itself and the facial expressions.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
There are professional translators around. One of my parents did scientific translation for patents. In time however I expect that to disappear as a career. Translating for literature may still require humans, though, because there is a lot more subtlety involved. But I'd be surprised if you could make a career on that.
Iownuk
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Google translate only works with very popular languages such as French, spanish, German etc. For languages like finnish, korean and Hungarian, we do need translators
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (65)
12.45%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.72%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (135)
25.86%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.24%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (252)
48.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.45%

Watched Threads