Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
An email spam filter correctly classifies mails (i.e. a spam mail as spam, a not-spam as not-spam) 2/3 of the times. Classification decisions are independent of each other. You test the classifier with a set of 3 emails. The classifier will stop when it performs one wrong classification (e.g. when it says that a spam email is not spam, or vice-versa), or when it correctly classifies all 3 emails. Answer the following:
a) Is this a binomial experiment? Explain your answer.
b) What is the probability that the classifier will make at most 1 correct classification?
c) What is the standard deviation in the number of correct classifications?
Faith&hardwork
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
What have u tried?
Meanwhile, the answer to question 1 is already started in the question !
Carrying a torch
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Faith&hardwork)
What have u tried?
Meanwhile, the answer to question 1 is already started in the question !
according to the first sentence it would be binomial however im not sure there is a fixed number of trials since it mentions that if one email is wrongly classified then the rest are ignored and not carried on with. for question b, i would work out probability of 0 times and 1 time and just add them up and question c, use the standard deviation formular sqr of np(1-p) where n is trials and p is possibility of success
Last edited by Carrying a torch; 1 month ago
Faith&hardwork
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Carrying a torch)
according to the first sentence it would be binomial however im not sure there is a fixed number of trials since it mentions that if one email is wrongly classified then the rest are ignored and not carried on with. for question b, i would work out probability of 0 times and 1 time and just add them up and question c, use the standard deviation formular sqr of np(1-p) where n is trials and p is the possibility of success
I think you run the test with 3 sets of email
For a Binomial distribution, there must be a fixed probability of success, once the classifier is faulty it stops so as not to alter the probability
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 17
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
An email spam filter correctly classifies mails (i.e. a spam mail as spam, a not-spam as not-spam) 2/3 of the times. Classification decisions are independent of each other. You test the classifier with a set of 3 emails. The classifier will stop when it performs one wrong classification (e.g. when it says that a spam email is not spam, or vice-versa), or when it correctly classifies all 3 emails. Answer the following:
a) Is this a binomial experiment? Explain your answer.
b) What is the probability that the classifier will make at most 1 correct classification?
c) What is the standard deviation in the number of correct classifications?
You've got some reponses - not all necessarily correct. What are your thoughts? And what have you been able to do so far?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.73%
Okay (97)
29.48%
A bit lacking (119)
36.17%
Not good at all (81)
24.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed