How do I gain enough motivation to revise?

Watch
Xiao's tofu
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently in year 11, having mocks coming up as soon as this half term ends, but I just can't get enough motivation to study, ik that there is still a chance of GCSEs being cancelled due to covid, which means that we would be graded by our mocks results if it were to occur, but no matter what or how much I try I just can't- My mental health is awful, my parents ofc don't understand, and I am doing pretty bad in school compared to like a few years ago.. I can barely get more than half in subjects like maths, and English is just a whole new world of nonsense- LIKE SERIOUSLY AND LIKE LET'S NOT TALK ABT RE, WHY AM I FORCED TO DO SO MANY FREAKING TESTS FOR A SUBJECT!? ACTUALLY IDM RE IT'S JUST THE D TYPE QUESTIONS OMFG THEY MAKE MY BLOOD BOIL...LIKE TEACH EVERYONE RE BUT MAKE IT LIKE P.E, COMPULSORY BUT NO TESTS.... SORRY FOR THE RANT
Last edited by Xiao's tofu; 1 month ago
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Xiao's tofu)
I am currently in year 11, having mocks coming up as soon as this half term ends, but I just can't get enough motivation to study, ik that there is still a chance of GCSEs being cancelled due to covid, which means that we would be graded by our mocks results if it were to occur, but no matter what or how much I try I just can't- My mental health is awful, my parents ofc don't understand, and I am doing pretty bad in school compared to like a few years ago.. I can barely get more than half in subjects like maths, and English is just a whole new world of nonsense- LIKE IDC WHY THE WITCHES R IMPORTANT IN MACBETH OR WHY DO I NEED TO READ OLD PLAYS? AM I MEANT TO LEARN SHAKESPEAREAN (IDK HOW TO SPELL) LANGUAGE AND LIKE TALK LIKE THAT? AM I GNNA USE THAT WHEN I GO TO THE SHOPS AND SAY **** LIKE 'GIVE THY THAT TOO' LIKE NO I DONT NEED ANY OF THAT NOR POEMS, I 'M NOT RANDOMLY GNNA GO IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREETS AND SCREAM " That's MY last duchess painted on theee wall...Lookin' as if she were ALIVE..I CALL.That piece a wonder~" LIKE SERIOUSLY AND LIKE LET'S NOT TALK ABT RE, WHY AM I FORCED TO DO SO MANY FREAKING TESTS FOR A SUBJECT!? ACTUALLY IDM RE IT'S JUST THE D TYPE QUESTIONS OMFG THEY MAKE MY BLOOD BOIL...LIKE TEACH EVERYONE RE BUT MAKE IT LIKE PE, COMPULSORY BUT NO TESTS.... SORRY FOR THE RANT
Gcse's are just a means to an end.The better you do the more choices you have.Eg You get to study subjects you do like at A level or get into the School/College you want.
Use youtube Bitesize.Watch films on your English Lit books.Buy some study aids to help you work out the themes.Education is not purely about what you are going to use in every day life it is to open your mind to new things.Sorry you hate RE but it is just stories really so try and think of it that way.I always used to wonder why people lacked motivation as I used to think OK it is three weeks pain forever long term gain.Really what do you have to lose by giving the next three or four weeks over to exams.It is such a short time in the overall scheme of things.Just accept the situation, work in one hour blocks then take a break have a coffee or some crisps then crack on..
username5821865
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think you need to realise the importance of GCSEs and self-motivation. If you don't do well on them, life will get harder, plus, it's your GCSEs and you have to take responsibility for how much work you put in because nobody else will do them for you.
Last edited by username5821865; 1 month ago
Xiao's tofu
Rep:
I will try my best to do decent, and yes I realised that GCSEs are extremely important..I will try to do my very best!
Last edited by Pink Unicorn; 4 weeks ago
emmab0488
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I am currently in year 11, having mocks coming up as soon as this half term ends, but I just can't get enough motivation to study, ik that there is still a chance of GCSEs being cancelled due to covid, which means that we would be graded by our mocks results if it were to occur, but no matter what or how much I try I just can't- My mental health is awful, my parents ofc don't understand, and I am doing pretty bad in school compared to like a few years ago.. I can barely get more than half in subjects like maths, and English is just a whole new world of nonsense- LIKE SERIOUSLY AND LIKE LET'S NOT TALK ABT RE, WHY AM I FORCED TO DO SO MANY FREAKING TESTS FOR A SUBJECT!? ACTUALLY IDM RE IT'S JUST THE D TYPE QUESTIONS OMFG THEY MAKE MY BLOOD BOIL...LIKE TEACH EVERYONE RE BUT MAKE IT LIKE P.E, COMPULSORY BUT NO TESTS.... SORRY FOR THE RANT
start off small and work your way up. trying to do a whole day of intensive revision is more likely to demotivate you than actually help you to get anything done. you could do an hour of revision, take a break, come back later and do an hour more.

try and get any distractions out of the room - phones, books, ipad - anything you don't need for studying, get it out the way. similarly, anything you DO need, get it before you start. then set yourself a timer and go!

it's helpful to try out a few different revision techniques to find out what works best for you. flashcards, mindmaps, active recall. whatever you do, avoid reading over notes, writing out the textbook or highlighting stuff and then never reading it again. for me, the thing that works best is writing out summaries of the key points from the topic and then having someone test me on it.

most importantly, don't stress too much about mocks. they are notoriously harder than the real gcse in most cases. it's highly unlikely that gcses will be cancelled this year and even if they are, grades should be assigned by your teacher based on multiple different pieces of work, not just the mock, so it's not the end of the world if they don't go exactly how you want.

if you need any more advice, feel free to ask. hope this helped a bit!
Xiao's tofu
Rep:
(Original post by Throwaway48)
I think you need to realise the importance of GCSEs and self-motivation. If you don't do well on them, life will get harder, plus, it's your GCSEs and you have to take responsibility for how much work you put in because nobody else will do them for you.
Ik, I will try my best to get motivated and actually try to study!
Last edited by Xiao's tofu; 1 month ago
Xiao's tofu
Rep:
T

(Original post by Scotney)
Gcse's are just a means to an end.The better you do the more choices you have.Eg You get to study subjects you do like at A level or get into the School/College you want.
Use youtube Bitesize.Watch films on your English Lit books.Buy some study aids to help you work out the themes.Education is not purely about what you are going to use in every day life it is to open your mind to new things.Sorry you hate RE but it is just stories really so try and think of it that way.I always used to wonder why people lacked motivation as I used to think OK it is three weeks pain forever long term gain.Really what do you have to lose by giving the next three or four weeks over to exams.It is such a short time in the overall scheme of things.Just accept the situation, work in one hour blocks then take a break have a coffee or some crisps then crack on..
Thank you for the tips and advice, I'll try my best to study as much as I can!
Xiao's tofu
Rep:
(Original post by emmab0488)
start off small and work your way up. trying to do a whole day of intensive revision is more likely to demotivate you than actually help you to get anything done. you could do an hour of revision, take a break, come back later and do an hour more.

try and get any distractions out of the room - phones, books, ipad - anything you don't need for studying, get it out the way. similarly, anything you DO need, get it before you start. then set yourself a timer and go!

it's helpful to try out a few different revision techniques to find out what works best for you. flashcards, mindmaps, active recall. whatever you do, avoid reading over notes, writing out the textbook or highlighting stuff and then never reading it again. for me, the thing that works best is writing out summaries of the key points from the topic and then having someone test me on it.

most importantly, don't stress too much about mocks. they are notoriously harder than the real gcse in most cases. it's highly unlikely that gcses will be cancelled this year and even if they are, grades should be assigned by your teacher based on multiple different pieces of work, not just the mock, so it's not the end of the world if they don't go exactly how you want.

if you need any more advice, feel free to ask. hope this helped a bit!
Thank you so much for the advice! I feel much more relaxed and I'll try my best to follow the tips and advice!
Ella.smith._x
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey! I’m in year 11 just like you. I’ve pretty much missed the whole of secondary due to chronic illness so really online lessons were a godsend! Despite this I still do really well in school. What helps me is having a goal. Even if it’s a place you wanna be after secondary, then dive deeper into that. So say you wanted to do a-levels, think, what GCSE grades would I need for that course? Or even as far as uni if you want! Keep focusing on that goal. At the end of the day, no ones gonna do it for you. No ones gonna get you where you wanna be. Sometimes you can’t just rely on motivation, you just have to Do it! I hope this helped a little and I’m sorry about your mental health..I get that. Maybe try an app like kooth? Or some workbooks for teens?

I hope it gets better for you soon.
Ella
emmab0488
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much for the advice! I feel much more relaxed and I'll try my best to follow the tips and advice!
of course! honestly, i was in the exact same situation this time last year and this is simply what is working best for me.

and those 'brutal motivation' videos on tiktok.... those are weirdly helpful too, haha!
Xiao's tofu
Rep:
(Original post by Ella.smith._x)
Hey! I’m in year 11 just like you. I’ve pretty much missed the whole of secondary due to chronic illness so really online lessons were a godsend! Despite this I still do really well in school. What helps me is having a goal. Even if it’s a place you wanna be after secondary, then dive deeper into that. So say you wanted to do a-levels, think, what GCSE grades would I need for that course? Or even as far as uni if you want! Keep focusing on that goal. At the end of the day, no ones gonna do it for you. No ones gonna get you where you wanna be. Sometimes you can’t just rely on motivation, you just have to Do it! I hope this helped a little and I’m sorry about your mental health..I get that. Maybe try an app like kooth? Or some workbooks for teens?

I hope it gets better for you soon.
Ella
Thank you sm for the tips and advice! Also thank you for caring abt my mental health 😭 I shall start to create a goal, and I will try my best to do a decent job in the GCSEs! I feel much more motivated! Again thank u sm
Ella.smith._x
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Your welcome!!! Happy studying x
Ella.smith._x
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you sm for the tips and advice! Also thank you for caring abt my mental health 😭 I shall start to create a goal, and I will try my best to do a decent job in the GCSEs! I feel much more motivated! Again thank u sm
Your welcome!! Happy studying x
Xiao's tofu
Rep:
(Original post by emmab0488)
of course! honestly, i was in the exact same situation this time last year and this is simply what is working best for me.

and those 'brutal motivation' videos on tiktok.... those are weirdly helpful too, haha!
Oh so you must have gone through an extremely tough time back then.. I deleted tiktok just because I couldn't stop using it 😩 ig tiktok has both good and bad oucomes 😭
Xiao's tofu
Rep:
(Original post by Ella.smith._x)
Your welcome!!! Happy studying x
<3
missling40
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Fellow year 11 here with mocks in a week and a bit and barely done anything I FEEL YOU BRO T^T
My motivation levels are also really ughhh rn, but i guess i'm trying to do a bit everyday. Just a little bit. I concentrate on revising effectively (active recall, etc.) instead of for long hours and try to get sleep and do other things I like. We got this
Xiao's tofu
Rep:
(Original post by missling40)
Fellow year 11 here with mocks in a week and a bit and barely done anything I FEEL YOU BRO T^T
My motivation levels are also really ughhh rn, but i guess i'm trying to do a bit everyday. Just a little bit. I concentrate on revising effectively (active recall, etc.) instead of for long hours and try to get sleep and do other things I like. We got this
OMG IS SO GLAD SOMEONE CAN ALSO RELATE..IT TRULY SUCKS...LET'S TRY TO GET DECENT GRADES IN THE MOCKS AND ACE THE GCSEs EVEN THOUGH WE BARELY HAVE ANY MOTIVATION...WE GOT THIS,WE CAN DO IT YDTJGCG!
Tz6
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I’m in the exact same position as you right now and for me I too struggle with motivation but here’s what I do that makes it better

have some sort of plan on things you need to focus on(Ik that’s obvious but once I made a list of everything on maths on excel it looked more bearable - I’d mark the ones I’ve finished and write the date and colour code them according to how hard they are) when you tick things off it makes you feel a bit better and makes you want to go on more (retrospective timetable search it up)
for maths use - onmaths(for papers and it tells you what you did bad on and stuff), mathsgenie (for tests and topic questions), savemyexams (for more questions and you can choose hard easy etc), for youtubers use hegartymaths, GCSE maths tutor, mathsgenie, mathswatch or corbettmaths
best thing for maths is practice questions honestly
same with science, do a topic at a time when you finished revising them on freesciencelessons then go on savemyexams or physicsandmaths tutor and do topic questions and past papers
Now for english, Yh it’s hard to study for but to analyse books or poems for lit use mr bruff, mr salles, or mark birch. Then choose a bunch of quotes from each book that you can write a lot about (make flashcards where you write the quote and the analysis and try to almost memorise them - make sure those quotes cover 2 themes at least it makes it easier)
write your list of themes for each book and poem and quotes to back up each theme (choose like 3 or 4 quotes)
then use mr bruff or mr salles and watch them go through exam questions and people’s answers and try to answer them yourself for practice (do the same for english language) once you know the format it gets easier from there
Rs or Re is boring yh but tbh I don’t study for it that much I look at the format of the answers for each question like the twelve marker it’s 2 points for and 2 points against and conclusion - i study like the same day and the day before trying to remember some good quotes and key things in the religions - good christianity quotes ( ‘go forth and multiply’ and ’increase in number’ for marriage and heterosexual relationships, ‘faith by itself, if not accompanied by action, is dead’, and the best ‘love thy neighbour’ could literally use for everything
also if you’re doing judaism, all judaism quotes are christianity quotes
hope this helps
sorry it’s a lot to read
good luck on your mocks
miab0560
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Honestly I think it depends on how you can motivate yourself if you are more academic then try to motivate yourself with the bigger picture e.g. like i need to get these grades or i wont be able to go to my dream university. but then if you are less academic but need to motivate yourself try small incentives e.g. if i do an hour of science revision i can watch an episode of my fave show or go for a walk tot the shop after you have done a chunk of revision and get yourself something you really enjoy. another way to motivate yourself while studying would be to have music on not super loud but i just find it makes a bit more enjoyable
MGWilli4a
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Year 11 as well! I've started revising for my mocks and I think what helps me keep motivated is that I know what 6th form I want to go to and then university and I just try to get the best grades I can. if 1 test goes badly, I try to ask a teacher to go through it with me, and I use it to fuel my motivation to do better. my teacher recommended that where you study put a picture of something you really want to do after your GCSE's - like holiday or festival maybe - and then look at it while you are stuck and remember why you want to do well and it also helps to show you it will end!!

what I find useful
Maths - Hegarty maths is brilliant, also cognate for practice questions on different topics - https://www.cognitoresources.org/res...sbytopic/maths
Science - again cognito they have some very good practice papers and they have a new learn section https://www.cognitoedu.org/dashboard. you have to sign in but it is free. they keep track of the videos you watch, and after each video you get questions on the topic. you can also do quizzes where you chose the topic you want and the amount of questions
Languages?? - if your school has active learn I find that useful and you can ask your teacher to put on all the modules for revision
History?? - I find Seneca is very useful - again free, you can find you option topics and use those to revise, also my revision guide are very good, condensed info in a book
English lit - reading the books, (I HATE POETRY WITH A PASSION SO MOTIVATION TO DO IT IS HARD) also making minima's, flashcards of different themes/characters
English lang - (which I also hate!!), is mainly just practice questions but you can watch videos that take you through answering a question and this is quite useful

Sorry no info on geography I don't take it or RE - I'm very glad I dropped it!!

hope you find this useful, and just remember that there are thousands of students in your position, so your not going through it alone!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads