Philomin
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I chose criminology at A-level, and am finding it very easy, however i did not realise that it was a 'critical thinking' A-level. For that reason many universities will not accept me so i would like to change it to either law or computer science . I am in my first year, but i will still have to catch up on work, and i am afraid that i will either fall behind or that my other subjects grades (biology and history) will fall due to this choice.

So the final question is: Should I change my course now, and if so, what should I change it to?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
princesscharli3
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Philomin)
I chose criminology at A-level, and am finding it very easy, however i did not realise that it was a 'critical thinking' A-level. For that reason many universities will not accept me so i would like to change it to either law or computer science . I am in my first year, but i will still have to catch up on work, and i am afraid that i will either fall behind or that my other subjects grades (biology and history) will fall due to this choice.

So the final question is: Should I change my course now, and if so, what should I change it to?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
As we are just reaching the 1st half term I reckon if you chose a different a-level you would have no problem catching up. It might just mean a few more hours at the library or your desk
Also, if you don't do it now and don't get accepted onto the uni courses you want, you will regret not changing over as you could have avoided it.
Last edited by princesscharli3; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Philomin)
I chose criminology at A-level
Its not an A level.

Its a daft welsh exam board diploma that has limited academic credibilty because its mostly True Crime nonsense with very little social science theory Do either A level CS or Law, but dont do Criminology.
princesscharli3
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Its not an A level.

Its a daft welsh exam board diploma that has limited academic credibilty because its mostly True Crime nonsense with very little social science theory Do either A level CS or Law, but dont do Criminology.
Philomin please ignore this post saying WJEC Level 3 Criminology is bad! I know of a few universities that accept this qualification in lieu of 1 A-level (for example University College London)
EOData
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you're looking to see which universities do accept it, then you need to know that it is not a 'Critical Thinking' A level. Critical Thinking (and General Studies) were specific A levels that used to exist and were abolished in 2018. It is not an A level but a different Level 3 qualification. It does get you UCAS points (at the same level as the same 'size' BTEC) so should be fine for a points based university offer, common from less 'prestigious' courses/universities. You'd have to ask other universities if they would accept it alongside your 2 academic A levels but I expect a lot would (a previous poster has said UCL do - the majority do accept BTECs.

However, you're not enjoying it and if you want to change you need to do so ASAP, if your school well let you. Talk to them about the options as soon as possible.,
Last edited by EOData; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.39%
Okay (115)
29.19%
A bit lacking (150)
38.07%
Not good at all (92)
23.35%

Watched Threads