Bham_Studentess
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Straight to the point :

I've completed an access course few months ago

I've got an offer to study midwifery starting January

I do not want to have either the covid or flu jab

It seems very likely that the above will be made mandatory soon

Access course is valid for 5 years, I'll wait it out and see how the situation evolves, and have a regular job.

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'll withdraw my application if this mandate goes. Gutted for sure, but I strongly believe in body autonomy.

Anyone else in this situation?
Fortysomething
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bham_Studentess)
Straight to the point :

Access course is valid for 5 years, I'll wait it out and see how the situation evolves, and have a regular job.

I've pretty much made up my mind that I'll withdraw my application if this mandate goes. Gutted for sure, but I strongly believe in body autonomy.

I’m not sure if it’s currently mandatory but with recent reports of the risks to unvaccinated pregnant women I think it should be and I really struggle to see any valid reason why a health professional would not want to be vaccinated to protect their patients and themselves and relieve the pressure on the nhs.
You will be expected to have jabs for other illnesses as well such as hep b
VLAS44
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You can still study the course but they probably won't be able to put you on a clinical placement. Every uni is different but at mine there's usually a set list of vaccines you have to have before any placement, flu isn't on it so you don't have to have that one, but covid definitely is. There are also others like tb and hepatitis aswell that they'll give you
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Depends on the individual health board policies at the moment, some have been redeploying non-vaccinated staff to non patient facing roles. If it becomes a requirement for clinical staff then it'll form part of OH assessment, which will stop you being enrolled on a nursing course.
Starsong
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm doing adult nursing and for our community placements we have to have had both vaccines, flu jab and hep B etc. it's possible this will be extended to other healthcare areas, we (as health workers) have always been expected to have vaccinations before working clinically to protect our patients. Unless there was an actual medical reason to not have any vaccinations (like allergy) I doubt accommodations would be made for you to do the course because it would be a choice on your part.
username5847361
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You probaly have two options if you dont want the vaccinations ,
Dont do the job or end up in hospital yourself
Allyson2020
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Straight to the point :

So you going to waste next five years waiting to see if covid19 will go away before perhaps applying to university for your degree in midwifing which you already got a offer for to start in January..... Here's a thought for you - midwifing is highly competertive ok so be prevlidge in having a offer now for it as in next few years when you try again you may not get a offer for this course.
Occupionational health will insist you have all available vaccines required for the course to be done before allowing you on the course.

Grow up a bit and go and get your vaccines done and get yourself onto the course in January.
Why are you not wanting it as all the NHS staff on frontline already sacrifice things with having it. I work face to face with covid19 patients on ICU and yes it's frightening knowing they are so ill so why would I not want the covid19 vaccine when I'm in middle of things with those patients. My own protection and my colleagues and also for the patients I'm treating is important. I'm also qualified midwife.

Majority of heathboards are already asking new students nurses etc to be vaccinated prior of starting there courses this year or otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to go out on placements which will mean they would fail this and will eventually have to make up time for it on there own time ( when on holiday ) as every hour & day you miss as a student must be completed by end of each academic year before moving onto following year course and if still short time your are due to qualify then NMC would sign you off as a registered nurse till you are and possibility having to extend your course to almost another year at your expense.
You'll at somepoint need to get vaccination for it if you want to even work in a healthcare setting using your access course qualifications.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Mandatory vaccines have been a part of healthcare employment for a long time. Probably time to find a different career.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Straight to the point :

It's up to you what vaccinations you have, and which you don't - but you clearly understand that this will have consequences in terms of what career you can follow. I don't really know what else there is to say.
YoungEmrys
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Straight to the point :

I don't think they can force you to take it- it's not mandatory for healthcare degrees (as of yet at least), although I do agree that we're going down a very scary path towards medical tyranny.

Even if the mandate does go through I think you might be able to apply for a religious exemption or something along those lines.
Becky2305
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by YoungEmrys)
I don't think they can force you to take it- it's not mandatory for healthcare degrees (as of yet at least), although I do agree that we're going down a very scary path towards medical tyranny.

Even if the mandate does go through I think you might be able to apply for a religious exemption or something along those lines.
For someone wanting to do a medical degree, it's quite alarming you're advising people on ways to avoid having the jab
Fortysomething
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Can you imagine the mess we would be in now if everyone had this attitude ? It infuriates me how selfish people can be in regards to getting vaccinated and I strongly believe if you feel so strongly about not getting vaccinated that a career in the health service is not a good plan.
Cote1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You have made up your mind so I suppose that it doesn't matter if anyone on here has made the same choices.

I definitely don't share your views on the vaccine. You know that the medical advice is to have the jabs. If you have the vaccine then you would also be less likely to pass covid to others so it is not just about you. I believe in body autonomy too but have had the vaccines because I don't want to be seriously ill with covid and I want to reduce my risk of giving it to someone else. I work with vulnerable people, at times, so I have had the vaccines and flu jab for that reason too. I find it strange that, as someone who wants to be a midwife, you would not want to help reduce the risk of spreading covid.

A number of pregnant women are scared to have the jab because they are pregnant. If a midwife refuses the vaccine then this puts these pregnant women more at risk of covid.

You know all the arguments so up to you.
Last edited by Cote1; 1 month ago
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I would get some advice from a solicitor or relevant trade union. I imagine you will need to select a different career direction. I agree in principle with vaccination being with consent, however the problem is that if too many health care professionals make this choice, patient safety will be jeopardised. I also believe that your own safety will be threatened and the employer has to consider that too.
Last edited by Zarek; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Will you still expect the NHS to treat you when you get seriously ill with Covid?
paub
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
you may want body automony but just maybe your patients dont want you exposing them to a lethal infection. as your just doing an access course at the moment you did not see what covid did to care homes. we had a small one with 18 residents they lost 6 of them in 2 weeks.
im guessing you had your hep b to start your course that is a forced vaccine did you refuse that. its really very simple a nurse will take the vaccine to protect others.
the wife has latex allergy anaphylaxis she has to be vaccinated in occy health with a full resuscitation trolly nearby. she has had both and will have the booster and flu vaccine. those that are unable to be vaccinated due to health are the only ones that should not have it.
if your principles prevent you having it quit you have no right to work in the health sector if your so self centred.
paub
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

not a chance. your faith has no impact on the virus.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.5%
Okay (72)
29.15%
A bit lacking (93)
37.65%
Not good at all (61)
24.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed