ItsSaeeda
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,

I have recently finished and sent off my application for primary teaching 2022 (nervous but excited) and was just wondering does anyone know what I should expect for the interview stage and if there is anything I should know that will help me stand out.

Thank you!
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ItsSaeeda)
Hi all,

I have recently finished and sent off my application for primary teaching 2022 (nervous but excited) and was just wondering does anyone know what I should expect for the interview stage and if there is anything I should know that will help me stand out.

Thank you!
What universities did you apply to?
The interview can involve group interviews, maths and english tests, talking about a particular children's book, mini presentations.
ItsSaeeda
Rep:
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
What universities did you apply to?
The interview can involve group interviews, maths and english tests, talking about a particular children's book, mini presentations.
My 3 choices are: UCL,
(SCITTLES) Colegrave Primary school and
University of East London. Damn…is the maths and English test basic? I feel like I need to brush up on my maths skills 😩
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My 3 choices are: UCL,
(SCITTLES) Colegrave Primary school and
University of East London. Damn…is the maths and English test basic? I feel like I need to brush up on my maths skills 😩
I did my PGCE at UCL last year and was also on the EYFS/KS1 pathway

My interview at UCL was pretty much the whole day- maths and english audits, individual interview, mini presentation, and a group task.

The maths audit is GCSE level, depending on how confident you are with maths, you may want to revise for it.

Side note: your interview experience may differ because of covid.
Last edited by 1secondsofvamps; 1 month ago
ItsSaeeda
Rep:
I did my PGCE at UCL last year and was also on the EYFS/KS1 pathway

My interview at UCL was pretty much the whole day- maths and english audits, individual interview, mini presentation, and a group task.

The maths audit is GCSE level, depending on how confident you are with maths, you may want to revise for it.

Side note: your interview experience may differ because of covid.
Oh wow…thanks!

I will be revising. After the interview did they tell you if you made it through or do they send an email or something?
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Oh wow…thanks!

I will be revising. After the interview did they tell you if you made it through or do they send an email or something?
I received an email from ucas track 5 days after the interview
ItsSaeeda
Rep:
I received an email from ucas track 5 days after the interview
Oh, I see…I did mine through the Government website. So I’m hoping I get a reply soon. How was your overall experience? Is there any readings you recommend or books I should have ready?
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Oh, I see…I did mine through the Government website. So I’m hoping I get a reply soon. How was your overall experience? Is there any readings you recommend or books I should have ready?
It was great! Even though all my lectures were online because of covid, I absolutely enjoyed it and im so glad to have done it at UCL.

A book I have purchased and actually found useful is "The Teachers' Standards in Primary Schools: Understanding and Evidencing Effective Practice" by Joy Carroll and Genea Alexander.
ItsSaeeda
Rep:
It was great! Even though all my lectures were online because of covid, I absolutely enjoyed it and im so glad to have done it at UCL.

A book I have purchased and actually found useful is "The Teachers' Standards in Primary Schools: Understanding and Evidencing Effective Practice" by Joy Carroll and Genea Alexander.
That’s fantastic! It’s good to know from previous students and their perspectives. Did you get to do any placement during covid and if so how was it. I love working with kids and find myself always looking at Pinterest for ideas for my teaching!

Thanks for the recommendation! I will be looking to get them ASAP
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
That’s fantastic! It’s good to know from previous students and their perspectives. Did you get to do any placement during covid and if so how was it. I love working with kids and find myself always looking at Pinterest for ideas for my teaching!

Thanks for the recommendation! I will be looking to get them ASAP
My first placement was in a nursery class and my second placement was in a year 1 class.
Placements typically start in September, but because of covid my cohort had to wait until November. And actually, during my first placement, I had to teach my class remotely for 2 weeks because there was a positive case. Was definitely an interesting experience teaching nursery children online.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (12)
10.26%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
0.85%
Finding the time to revise (8)
6.84%
Finding the motivation (31)
26.5%
Getting distracted (15)
12.82%
Procrastination (49)
41.88%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.85%

Watched Threads