RollingApple
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am hypersensitive to noise, which is going to be quite a big problem at uni. However, sharing spaces with other people is also a big problem for me, and studio flats never seem to be in designated 'quiet' accommodation.
If you are/have been living in a studio flat, how quiet is it?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Can't speak for all of them but mine is very quiet.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RollingApple)
I am hypersensitive to noise, which is going to be quite a big problem at uni. However, sharing spaces with other people is also a big problem for me, and studio flats never seem to be in designated 'quiet' accommodation.
I have friends who have lived in blocks full of just studios, or lived in a block with a mix of flats with studios squeezed into the spaces between them. The friend who lived in a block of just studios found it much quieter, but not completely silent.
Plagioclase
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This is impossible to answer since it'll vary depending on the exact building you're in and even the year. If you're hypersensitive to noise though, the best advice I can give is to invest in a pair of high-end noise-cancelling headphones (Sony WH-1000XM4 are probably the best ones available at the moment). Trust me, as someone who also hates noise, it's worth it.
RollingApple
Rep:
(Original post by Plagioclase)
This is impossible to answer since it'll vary depending on the exact building you're in and even the year. If you're hypersensitive to noise though, the best advice I can give is to invest in a pair of high-end noise-cancelling headphones (Sony WH-1000XM4 are probably the best ones available at the moment). Trust me, as someone who also hates noise, it's worth it.
That's true.
I've got some Sony noise-cancelling headphones (don't know what model) but I don't want to have to wear them all the time.
Plagioclase
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
That's true.
I've got some Sony noise-cancelling headphones (don't know what model) but I don't want to have to wear them all the time.
Ultimately the only way you can guarantee silent neighbours is by moving into a detached house. Hopefully you will be fortunate and have quiet neighbours, but if you don't, good noise-cancelling headphones are the next best thing. I basically wear my XM3s all day - they're extremely comfortable and create near silence.
HousesInCork
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Anecdotally, I had a studio in a student building that was mostly studios with some shared flats. It was definitely much quieter than other accommodation I've been in (except on the few occasions that there were big group parties or everyone was out drinking for new year etc.). As others have said though, this kind of thing varies so much with the ratio of different room types in the building, the building's layout, where in the building you are, the other people in the building, etc. Fx, where I lived was an old building with thick walls/doors which definitely helped a lot with keeping it quiet. I was also away from the main entrance and staircases.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As people says it varies...a LOT depends on wall thickness and sound insulation. And you need to remember that studios/bedsits are one of the most population dense ways to house people, so higher average noise in many cases. and it really just takes ONE noisy person to aggravate a lot of others.
RollingApple
Rep:
(Original post by HousesInCork)
Anecdotally, I had a studio in a student building that was mostly studios with some shared flats. It was definitely much quieter than other accommodation I've been in (except on the few occasions that there were big group parties or everyone was out drinking for new year etc.). As others have said though, this kind of thing varies so much with the ratio of different room types in the building, the building's layout, where in the building you are, the other people in the building, etc. Fx, where I lived was an old building with thick walls/doors which definitely helped a lot with keeping it quiet. I was also away from the main entrance and staircases.
Good point, main entrance and stairs would be key things to avoid. Out of interest (I know this will vary a lot by year, place, people etc) how often were there parties? I'm guessing they were in the shared flats?
RollingApple
Rep:
(Original post by StriderHort)
As people says it varies...a LOT depends on wall thickness and sound insulation. And you need to remember that studios/bedsits are one of the most population dense ways to house people, so higher average noise in many cases. and it really just takes ONE noisy person to aggravate a lot of others.
True.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.75%
Okay (106)
29.53%
A bit lacking (131)
36.49%
Not good at all (87)
24.23%

Watched Threads