What universities still use paper?

Watch
VLAS44
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, just wondering what universities still use paper or have paperbased course?

I mean like they give you worksheets, paper timetable, textbooks, written assignments/projects etc rather than everything being online.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by VLAS44)
Hi everyone, just wondering what universities still use paper or have paperbased course?

I mean like they give you worksheets, paper timetable, textbooks, written assignments/projects etc rather than everything being online.
I'd be surprised if any University still did this...

Inefficient, costly, and an administrative nightmare.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Virtually none, I'd wager, far too expensive when there's a more cost effective way of doing it I.E. posting it all online on the student intranet.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I mean they'll use paper in the sense it will exist in the uni broadly for various things (admin documents, contracts etc)...but as above it's unlikely many unis will as a rule issue all (or any) teaching materials by paper. Individual lecturers may of course do this still, although I imagine unis generally try and discourage it from an environmental perspective.

There is of course nothing preventing you from printing the materials out for your own use if you wish, although again unis probably try and discourage excessive printing/copying for environmental reasons.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

The only reason a university would provide an individual student with paper-based work is if you have mitigating circumstances which prevents you working from a screen (e.g. a medical condition), but even then, they would expect assignment submissions to be word-processed.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
In first year (before covid) all lecture notes and most of my assignments were on paper. I do chemistry, so drawing structures on paper is far easier than on a computer
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Imagine having to do a lit search on the old library cards rather than a database :afraid:
Last edited by moonkatt; 1 month ago
VLAS44
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I mean they'll use paper in the sense it will exist in the uni broadly for various things (admin documents, contracts etc)...but as above it's unlikely many unis will as a rule issue all (or any) teaching materials by paper. Individual lecturers may of course do this still, although I imagine unis generally try and discourage it from an environmental perspective.

There is of course nothing preventing you from printing the materials out for your own use if you wish, although again unis probably try and discourage excessive printing/copying for environmental reasons.
yeah that's what i've been doing but for nursing there's just so much paperwork so far it's cost me g£300 in ink and paper and i'm only in the 1st term of 2nd year, plus with adding in travel costs to placements which is about £200 in total it's just costing me way too much!
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
yeah that's what i've been doing but for nursing there's just so much paperwork so far it's cost me g£300 in ink and paper and i'm only in the 1st term of 2nd year, plus with adding in travel costs to placements which is about £200 in total it's just costing me way too much!
I'd suggest speaking with your uni - they might have subsidies or small bursaries available to support those kinds of costs?

Also perhaps discuss with your personal tutor exactly what needs to be printed physically and what you can submit digitally, there might be some things you are printing that you don't need to.

£300 a year for printing costs seems unusual if you're not in some kind of creative arts course where you need to print high quality prints regularly, so I think there might be something going wrong here though.
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
with £300 a year you might as well get an ipad
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The only time that I've used paper at uni so far is in a lab where there are no alternatives. All my notes, assignments, timetables etc are on canvas
VLAS44
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I'd suggest speaking with your uni - they might have subsidies or small bursaries available to support those kinds of costs?

Also perhaps discuss with your personal tutor exactly what needs to be printed physically and what you can submit digitally, there might be some things you are printing that you don't need to.

£300 a year for printing costs seems unusual if you're not in some kind of creative arts course where you need to print high quality prints regularly, so I think there might be something going wrong here though.
thanks, i'll try talking to my tutor.

iI do get a nursing payment but that goes on rent. Unfortunately the rest of the bursaries i'm not eligible for unless I get screened by SLC, who have refused to screen me because but I didn't take out a maintence loan this year. It's such a stupid system.

I suspect that I probably have something like irlen as i have super sensitive eyes and can't absorb any information at all off a screen but it isn't officially recgonised in the UK so the learning support team have told me there isn't anything they can do
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Get a cheap laser printer for your printing costs-my hl3150cdw was a good investment and has served me for 5 years of uni and 2 of sixth form.

Most unis don't support paper-bases submissions where it's not necessary, especially due to covid. Before covid Edinburgh wanted paper subs for all my courses but since then, no longer. All materials were online though. You can try to ask though.

If using a pc due to eye sensitivity is hard, have you tried a kindle for books and notes and stuff? Or a large format screen similar to a kindle? You could also try using f.lux and turning the brightness of your screen to 0 (what I do.)
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thanks, i'll try talking to my tutor.

iI do get a nursing payment but that goes on rent. Unfortunately the rest of the bursaries i'm not eligible for unless I get screened by SLC, who have refused to screen me because but I didn't take out a maintence loan this year. It's such a stupid system.

I suspect that I probably have something like irlen as i have super sensitive eyes and can't absorb any information at all off a screen but it isn't officially recgonised in the UK so the learning support team have told me there isn't anything they can do
I think you should be able to be means tested by SFE even if you don't receive a maintenance loan? Maybe worth talking to SFE about that if you haven't already.

However if you are eligible for a maintenance loan I would definitely recommend applying for one as that will help you with these costs (and others). Bear in mind SLC loans are not like bank loans - the structure of the loan agreement makes it essentially impossible to default on (unless you leave the country without telling them, or misrepresent your earnings as a self-employed worker) and so you[['ll never have bailiffs coming to collect payments or anything. The repayments are automatic if you're a PAYE employee (most workers in the UK are) and you only repay when you earn over the threshold, and the repayments are proportional to your income - so you never repay more than you can afford to. Also after 30 years, or when you reach state pension age (whichever comes first) the loan is written off. Also SLC loans do not affect your credit score so won't affect your ability to e.g. get a mortgage etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
9.01%
Okay (65)
29.28%
A bit lacking (83)
37.39%
Not good at all (54)
24.32%

Watched Threads