artcat0426
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
heyy pls let me know what all can be included in a good law personal statement, I'm extremely confused
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by artcat0426)
heyy pls let me know what all can be included in a good law personal statement, I'm extremely confused
Hi artcat0426

Great question. As a starting point, I would look to consider the following points/questions:

- Why are you interested in studying law?
- What do you enjoy about law?
- Why you would be suited to studying a law degree?
- What are your interests/hobbies/achievements?
- Do you have any relevant work experience?
- What skills have you developed which would be transferable to studying a degree in law?
- What are your career aspirations? Are you looking to practice law as a career, progress into further studies, or something else?
- Have you come across any interesting points of law recently? Or read an interesting book based on, or around, the law? Is there anything, relevant to law, in the news recently which is of interest?

The personal statement can be seem like a daunting task before you start writing it, so my best advice would be to break it down into smaller chunks and formulate a plan to follow to ensure it is structured throughout.

I hope this helps you getting started, but if you have any other questions then please let me know.

James

ULaw Student Ambassador
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You need to show that you understand that Law is an academic degree - and that you have the intellectual capacity to do it.
Have a listen to some of these Radio 4 podcasts from Law in Action : https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00...pisodes/player
Pick a few topics that interest you and write a paragraph discussing the theoretical debate behind each one - not the facts, but the bigger issues.

Start your PS with 'I realised I wanted to study Law when...' and then follow this with with two or three of 'these topics interest me because......' paragraphs. You are up and running.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
There's guidance on law PSs here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...tement-for-law
artcat0426
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Hi artcat0426

Great question. As a starting point, I would look to consider the following points/questions:

- Why are you interested in studying law?
- What do you enjoy about law?
- Why you would be suited to studying a law degree?
- What are your interests/hobbies/achievements?
- Do you have any relevant work experience?
- What skills have you developed which would be transferable to studying a degree in law?
- What are your career aspirations? Are you looking to practice law as a career, progress into further studies, or something else?
- Have you come across any interesting points of law recently? Or read an interesting book based on, or around, the law? Is there anything, relevant to law, in the news recently which is of interest?

The personal statement can be seem like a daunting task before you start writing it, so my best advice would be to break it down into smaller chunks and formulate a plan to follow to ensure it is structured throughout.

I hope this helps you getting started, but if you have any other questions then please let me know.

James

ULaw Student Ambassador
Thank you very much for this detailed guide. I will definitely incorporate these in my statement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.73%
Okay (97)
29.48%
A bit lacking (119)
36.17%
Not good at all (81)
24.62%

Watched Threads