UCL BASC 2022 Arts and Science

Watch this thread
Anna_dcliff
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi I want to start this thread for anyone applying to UCL Arts and Science course in 2022. I’ve sent off my application and got the questionnaire- they’ve given me 5 days?!?!! I want to major in science and engineering and minor in cultural. Haven't read anything about people applying for 2022 so started this thread. Good luck to everyone !!
Jack.t08
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
Hey, im looking to apply to BASc 2022, though ill be submitting my application in January when I get my exam results back.

I would major in cultures minor in sci/eng.

Can I ask if you tailored your personal statement to arts and sciences, and what the questionnaire entailed? Thanks and good luck to you too
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jack.t08)
Hey, im looking to apply to BASc 2022, though ill be submitting my application in January when I get my exam results back.

Can I ask if you tailored your personal statement to arts and sciences, and what the questionnaire entailed? Thanks and good luck to you too
I broadly tailored my personal statement but not at all detailed.
ksennnn
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 months ago

I got in to BASc in 2019 and my PS was tailored to Law - BASc was my 5th choice. I got in anyways they do say they do not really look for the PS to be written FOR them, they understand it’s a very unique course
anon2003!
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anna_dcliff)
Hi I want to start this thread for anyone applying to UCL Arts and Science course in 2022. I’ve sent off my application and got the questionnaire- they’ve given me 5 days?!?!! I want to major in science and engineering and minor in cultural. Haven't read anything about people applying for 2022 so started this thread. Good luck to everyone !!
I've been given five days as well as I am not too sure how the questions should be answered, like what are they looking for. How did you find it?
anon2003!
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ksennnn)
I got in to BASc in 2019 and my PS was tailored to Law - BASc was my 5th choice. I got in anyways they do say they do not really look for the PS to be written FOR them, they understand it’s a very unique course
Hi, I just received my questionnaire and I am confused as to what they are looking for e.g. the style of writing I should use. i wish they provided an example and there are none online. I was wondering if you had any tips?
ksennnn
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by anon2003!)
Hi, I just received my questionnaire and I am confused asHi to what they are looking for e.g. the style of writing I should use. i wish they provided an example and there are none online. I was wondering if you had any tips?
Hi! I actually did not have to do a questionnaire when I was applying, we were all asked to come in and listen to four lectures (one from each strand), and then we had two hours to answer questions (broadly related to the lectures) on a computer. So I'm not sure how helpful I can be. All I can say is that I didn't really focus that much on the style of writing, just enough to make it structured and coherent, and I prioritised making as many points as I could. I had a computer issue where half of my sentences at the end of each Q actually got chopped off and I still made it in. Writing is something you definitely learn at university, which is why I think it's more of a test on original thought, valuing interdisciplinary, and in my case ability to learn from the lectures we were given.
snugglewoo
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Has anyone got invitations to an open day for BaSC yet? BTW, I am hoping to major in health and environment!
Batoool
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Has anyone got the Arts Test for the UCL BASc on 10th December? If so can they please let me know how they’re preparing for the exam? I’ve been reading on the topics mentioned in the A Level general studies and would also like to start practicing essays relatively soon - so if anyone has any advice I’d love to hear it
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago

Hello, I’m also an applicant to arts and sciences My personal statement was for the course ‘human sciences’ which is basically like a combo of bio and social sciences - so I did feel that my personal statement was well tailored for arts & sciences because it was interdisciplinary. But all in all it doesn’t really matter whether your personal statement is tailored that much or not because UCL BASc mentioned on the website that they weigh your questionnaire and A Levels more than the personal statement.

I already submitted my questionnaire a while ago but it was about 6-7 questions of why you want to do the course, why are you the right person for the course, why are you interested in interdisciplinary studies etc. It’s kind of like an additional personal statement specially for the course. I would say it’d be good to mention a few books/documentaries/podcasts of some of the disciplines you’re interested in and even worth mentioning how ideas youve learnt from different disciplines connect with each other.

UCL also look at your A Levels (obviously) and whether you have A levels with a mix of humanities and sciences or whether you’re only humanities or sciences based. So if you only have humanities/arts A Levels then you’d have to do a sciences exam and if you have only sciences/maths A Levels then you’d have to do a humanities exam. They said they do the exams several times a year depending on when you apply. Hope this is helpful! And good luck to everyone applying.
anon2003!
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello, I’m also an applicant to arts and sciences My personal statement was for the course ‘human sciences’ which is basically like a combo of bio and social sciences - so I did feel that my personal statement was well tailored for arts & sciences because it was interdisciplinary. But all in all it doesn’t really matter whether your personal statement is tailored that much or not because UCL BASc mentioned on the website that they weigh your questionnaire and A Levels more than the personal statement.

I already submitted my questionnaire a while ago but it was about 6-7 questions of why you want to do the course, why are you the right person for the course, why are you interested in interdisciplinary studies etc. It’s kind of like an additional personal statement specially for the course. I would say it’d be good to mention a few books/documentaries/podcasts of some of the disciplines you’re interested in and even worth mentioning how ideas youve learnt from different disciplines connect with each other.

UCL also look at your A Levels (obviously) and whether you have A levels with a mix of humanities and sciences or whether you’re only humanities or sciences based. So if you only have humanities/arts A Levels then you’d have to do a sciences exam and if you have only sciences/maths A Levels then you’d have to do a humanities exam. They said they do the exams several times a year depending on when you apply. Hope this is helpful! And good luck to everyone applying
The one they sent me had 5 questions. I hope I didn't miss any out!
Last edited by anon2003!; 5 months ago
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by anon2003!)
The one they sent me had 5 questions. I hope I didn't miss any out!
Oh yep I just checked and it was 5 questions, sorry !!!!
anon2003!
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Oh yep I just checked and it was 5 questions, sorry !!!!
No worries! I was just panicked slightly for a second. Has anyone heard anything back since?
nyreemarsh
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anna_dcliff)
ahhhhhhhhhh I want to do the same too!!! did u get an offer yet???
Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
hi all I just got an offer for BASc with a year abroad, and I'm planning on majoring in health and environment, minoring in societies hope everyone gets their offer soon too!
catherineew
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
that’s amazing well done!!! I’m also applying for that but with cultures as my minor can I ask what your subjects/predictions are?
Anna_dcliff
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
hi all I just got an offer for BASc with a year abroad, and I'm planning on majoring in health and environment, minoring in societies hope everyone gets their offer soon too!
Congrats!!!
Anna_dcliff
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by nyreemarsh)
ahhhhhhhhhh I want to do the same too!!! did u get an offer yet???
not yet 🤞
Anonymous #3
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by catherineew)
that’s amazing well done!!! I’m also applying for that but with cultures as my minor can I ask what your subjects/predictions are?
hi! sure my predicted were A* in Geography, A* in biology and A in English language. I also am predicted an A* in my EPQ.
catherineew
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
ooh cool! are you firming basc?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
34.83%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.73%
It was TERRIBLE (18)
10.11%

Watched Threads