essie15
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in year 10 and our school is making us do work experience in the summer. I'm interested in getting work experience in the law industry, if possible a law firm. Does anyone have any tips on what type of companies/ firms would accept students or how to get work experience that helps my interest in the law industry.
AbrahamP
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by essie15)
I'm in year 10 and our school is making us do work experience in the summer. I'm interested in getting work experience in the law industry, if possible a law firm. Does anyone have any tips on what type of companies/ firms would accept students or how to get work experience that helps my interest in the law industry.
I think local firms would always be easier than applying for a top firm. Just call up local law firms around you, say you're interested in this particular field and would love to gain a better insight/work experience and see if they could take you on. Who knows you might even get an internship and potential employment where you can earn money
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi essie15

I thought I would share some tips on this too.

As AbrahamP has mentioned, speaking to local law firms will be a good place to start. I would get together a formal covering letter and CV and write/email the law firms that are near you to you to enquire about work experience, explaining your circumstances and some indication of dates.

Think outside the box, don’t limit yourself to just solicitors firms, consider also any barristers chambers and look to write to them about shadowing/work experience. There are also a range of companies who offer legal services in-house. These are - generally speaking - larger businesses but also worth having a look into.

Finally, it may be worth speaking to your careers/employability teacher/team at school to seek further guidance on how best to obtain legal work experience and whether they have any points of contact with local practices. It is a competitive industry, but there are opportunities out there.

Best of luck with the search!

James

ULaw Student Ambassador
essie15
Rep:
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Hi essie15

I thought I would share some tips on this too.

As AbrahamP has mentioned, speaking to local law firms will be a good place to start. I would get together a formal covering letter and CV and write/email the law firms that are near you to you to enquire about work experience, explaining your circumstances and some indication of dates.

Think outside the box, don’t limit yourself to just solicitors firms, consider also any barristers chambers and look to write to them about shadowing/work experience. There are also a range of companies who offer legal services in-house. These are - generally speaking - larger businesses but also worth having a look into.

Finally, it may be worth speaking to your careers/employability teacher/team at school to seek further guidance on how best to obtain legal work experience and whether they have any points of contact with local practices. It is a competitive industry, but there are opportunities out there.

Best of luck with the search!

James

ULaw Student Ambassador
thank you very much 😊 I'll definitely look into it!
essie15
Rep:
(Original post by AbrahamP)
I think local firms would always be easier than applying for a top firm. Just call up local law firms around you, say you're interested in this particular field and would love to gain a better insight/work experience and see if they could take you on. Who knows you might even get an internship and potential employment where you can earn money
thank you for the advice! 😊
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Think outside the box, don’t limit yourself to just solicitors firms, consider also any barristers chambers and look to write to them about shadowing/work experience.
By all means do try this, but be aware that nearly all barristers' chambers require you to be an undergraduate before they will consider you for a mini pupillage (which is what work experience with a barrister is called). However, so I'm not just taking options away from you, consider emailing your local county court to ask about marshalling, which is work experience with a judge. It'll give you a different perspective on the legal industry. Whether or not that's physically possible at your age will depend on the policies in place in your local court and/or the view of the particular judge(s), but I've certainly appeared in front of judges before who had school pupils sitting with them. I don't know how that came about, but it's definitely worth an email.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I hope you're well

My school was very similar, and I did my first bit of legal work experience in year 10 too! Something I did was handing my CV to local law firms directly as opposed to just e-mailing, so I was able to explain my situation and why I wanted to do some work experience with X firm. Like above, don't limit yourself - and definitely think outside of the box! Gaining legal work experience is really tricky, so as long as you're developing different transferrable skills, that's all someone can ask of you!

Best of luck to you!

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep
essie15
Rep:
(Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep)
Hi there,

I hope you're well

My school was very similar, and I did my first bit of legal work experience in year 10 too! Something I did was handing my CV to local law firms directly as opposed to just e-mailing, so I was able to explain my situation and why I wanted to do some work experience with X firm. Like above, don't limit yourself - and definitely think outside of the box! Gaining legal work experience is really tricky, so as long as you're developing different transferrable skills, that's all someone can ask of you!

Best of luck to you!

Ana
thank you Ana
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thank you Ana
Good Luck with organising your work experience.

Remember that even if you can't get into a local law firm (and hopefully you can) it will be fine because you don't need work experience for a law degree, it is just helpful for you to get some insight into the job. If you find you can't get into a law firm, work experience in an office would be a good alternative.
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thank you Ana
You're very welcome - best of luck to you in your search.

Ana
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (39)
9.68%
Okay (119)
29.53%
A bit lacking (153)
37.97%
Not good at all (92)
22.83%

Watched Threads