RedVelvet16
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Could I get into Oxford with these grades:
A-level: Maths, A; Biology, A*; Latin, A*
(Would Latin, instead of something like Chemistry harm my application?)

GCSE: Maths, 7; English Lit, 7; English Lang, 7; Bio, 9; Chem, 8; Physics, 8; History, 8; Latin, 9; Computer Science, 9; French, 9
(Are these GCSE grades good enough?
riannak
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
those grades are definitely good enough for oxford - remember they will also be contextualised!
your gcses and a-levels won't be the only thing they look at, they will also consider your bmat score, personal statement and reference when deciding whether to give you an interview so make sure these are the best they can be
because you have two of the required subjects (maths and biology) taking latin won't harm your application don't worry!
have you applied for 2022 entry or considering 2023 entry?

good luck
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RedVelvet16)
Could I get into Oxford with these grades:
A-level: Maths, A; Biology, A*; Latin, A*
(Would Latin, instead of something like Chemistry harm my application?)

GCSE: Maths, 7; English Lit, 7; English Lang, 7; Bio, 9; Chem, 8; Physics, 8; History, 8; Latin, 9; Computer Science, 9; French, 9
(Are these GCSE grades good enough?
Your GCSEs are definitely below average for Oxford applicants (but average is just that, average).

With 7 A*s (Grade 8 / 9) you are below average for the number of applicants and significantly below average for the shortlist.

My advice? You can try but it will be a gamble.

Here are the admission stats: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/bm...ons-statistics

Short-listing was based heavily on available GCSE and BMAT data (both quantitative and objective measures). For short-listing purposes a grade 8 or 9 was considered equivalent to an A*. If applicants had not taken GCSEs or IGCSEs more weight was given to the BMAT score.

The mean number of A* at GCSE was 7.6; this rose to 9.9 for those short-listed.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
RedVelvet16
Rep:
(Original post by riannak)
those grades are definitely good enough for oxford - remember they will also be contextualised!
your gcses and a-levels won't be the only thing they look at, they will also consider your bmat score, personal statement and reference when deciding whether to give you an interview so make sure these are the best they can be
because you have two of the required subjects (maths and biology) taking latin won't harm your application don't worry!
have you applied for 2022 entry or considering 2023 entry?

good luck
Thank you! Do you think it would be better to go for economics instead of Latin?
riannak
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RedVelvet16)
Thank you! Do you think it would be better to go for economics instead of Latin?
if your 3rd subject isn't any of the required ones it doesn't actually make a difference what you choose - just go for whatever you feel you can get the best grade in
RedVelvet16
Rep:
(Original post by riannak)
if your 3rd subject isn't any of the required ones it doesn't actually make a difference what you choose - just go for whatever you feel you can get the best grade in
Thanks again!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (16)
8.74%
Okay (56)
30.6%
A bit lacking (63)
34.43%
Not good at all (48)
26.23%

Watched Threads