Anyone have any idea on how to move abroad at 19?

Watch
Chloe0382
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'd love to move to New York one day but I know it's expensive so how much would you recommend saving if I wanted to move for six months or less?
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chloe0382)
I'd love to move to New York one day but I know it's expensive so how much would you recommend saving if I wanted to move for six months or less?
If you're eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) then you can travel to the US for up to 90 days for tourism or business purposes. Any longer than that, or if you're not eligible for the VWP, then you'll need a visa.

You can't just "move to the USA" (unless, of course, you're a US citizen). If you want to work there you'll need to find an employer to sponsor you, and they might need to be able to prove that they can't find someone already entitled to be in the US to work for them in that role.

Whatever you do, don't travel to the US, claim you're there for a couple of weeks' holiday, and then overstay. While your passport will be stamped with an "admit until" date 90 (VWP) or 180 days (B1/B2 visa) in the future, it's likely that the information you give them at the immigration desk will be recorded, and if you stayed noticeably longer than you said you would, then this may well be an issue next time you visit.

(And, for what it's worth, when I last visited the US (early in 2020) they asked me when I'd last been there to check against their records; and my last visit was in 2011 -- so they keep their records for at least 9 years.) If they think you've used deception to visit the US you can expect a lengthy (if not permanent) ban from returning.

But to get back to the original question: My hotel accommodation was around $100/night (in February; that's quite a cheap time of year) -- and that was room-only, no meals. On top of that I budgeted around $100/day for activities/food.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chloe0382)
You can't just immigrate to the US because you 'want to' - have you done any research into US immigration and what 'head' you could realistically apply for immigration under?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads