Ecl7217
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I got a scholarship to one of the top boarding schools in the uk, however being there for two months I hate it - I can’t concentrate in class and it doesn’t even feel like I’m at school. I’ve gone from getting straight As to failing even though I’m revising like crazy. I really want to leave and take a year off school and then do my highers (Scottish system) before going to university, but my parents spent so much money on the uniform and I feel like a failure and a disappointment. Also due to only getting 5hrs of sleep I feel as if I’m in a constant dream and not in a good way.
hxnnxh_13.11.06
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I also go to a top school in the UK and I know how you feel. The sudden pressure is so hard and my grades went from As to Ds in a matter of weeks. I'm supposed to focus on music at my school and I can barely concentrate and I don't have the energy to do anything.

There are a few things I now do that help me:
- I try to practice and study for at least an hour a day in term breaks so I don't procrastinate and rush while getting a good balance of social life, sleep, etc.
- I always take notes in class regardless of whether I understand the topic or not so if I really need to I can google the topic.
- Breaks, lunches, etc are for social time ONLY unless I really need to do some work that's due on that day.
- I don't know for you, but in boarding here we have a designated 2hr prep time every night Mon-Fri at 7-9. I make sure that I work during those times ONLY except if and when I have a really urgent piece of work due in e.g. coursework.
- I'm hopeless at sleeping, I always feel the urge to work, or practice, or do extracurricular. One of the ways I overcome this is by making sure I'm in bed by a certain time. Usually, I go to bed at around 11 during term time, although in term break I change it a bit :laugh: Even if I can't sleep, at least I'm resting.
- Get into a good routine so you're not tired out too often.

I can't help with you taking a year off but you should do whatever you think is best. If you feel guilty about taking a year of maybe try these tips and hopefully they'll help you?

When I first went to my new school I immediately burned out because of the pressure and I fell unwell. You don't want to end up like this. Please, follow your gut instinct and do what you think is best, but I hope I've helped you if you'd like to stay at your current school.
Ecl7217
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by hxnnxh_13.11.06)
I also go to a top school in the UK and I know how you feel. The sudden pressure is so hard and my grades went from As to Ds in a matter of weeks. I'm supposed to focus on music at my school and I can barely concentrate and I don't have the energy to do anything.

There are a few things I now do that help me:
- I try to practice and study for at least an hour a day in term breaks so I don't procrastinate and rush while getting a good balance of social life, sleep, etc.
- I always take notes in class regardless of whether I understand the topic or not so if I really need to I can google the topic.
- Breaks, lunches, etc are for social time ONLY unless I really need to do some work that's due on that day.
- I don't know for you, but in boarding here we have a designated 2hr prep time every night Mon-Fri at 7-9. I make sure that I work during those times ONLY except if and when I have a really urgent piece of work due in e.g. coursework.
- I'm hopeless at sleeping, I always feel the urge to work, or practice, or do extracurricular. One of the ways I overcome this is by making sure I'm in bed by a certain time. Usually, I go to bed at around 11 during term time, although in term break I change it a bit :laugh: Even if I can't sleep, at least I'm resting.
- Get into a good routine so you're not tired out too often.

I can't help with you taking a year off but you should do whatever you think is best. If you feel guilty about taking a year of maybe try these tips and hopefully they'll help you?

When I first went to my new school I immediately burned out because of the pressure and I fell unwell. You don't want to end up like this. Please, follow your gut instinct and do what you think is best, but I hope I've helped you if you'd like to stay at your current school.
Thank you. Xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (20)
8.97%
Okay (65)
29.15%
A bit lacking (83)
37.22%
Not good at all (55)
24.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed