AQA Transition Metal A Level Content

Watch this thread
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
For AQA chemistry do we need to know the specific colours of various transition metal complexes?

Thank you!
_Rusty_
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
For AQA chemistry do we need to know the specific colours of various transition metal complexes?

Thank you!
Yes, AQA released this wonderful 1-page document: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...METAL-IONS.PDF
_Mia101
Rep:
(Original post by chris01928)
Yes, AQA released this wonderful 1-page document: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...METAL-IONS.PDF
Thank you!

Would you happen to know what exactly we need to know regarding substitution reactions. The spec just says:

Substitution may be incomplete (eg the formation of [Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2]2+).
But some questions seem to expect me to know equations and a lot more detailed stuff, like determining a compound based on the reactants and what the colour of the compounds formed will be etc.

[i]I've had to essentially teach myself this entire topic as our teacher has been off for the past couple weeks, so i'm trying to make sure i've actually covered all the content i need.
Last edited by _Mia101; 7 months ago
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
Thank you!

Would you happen to know what exactly we need to know regarding substitution reactions. The spec just says:

But some questions seem to expect me to know equations and a lot more detailed stuff, like determining a compound based on the reactants and what the colour of the compounds formed will be etc.

[i]I've had to essentially teach myself this entire topic as our teacher has been off for the past couple weeks, so i'm trying to make sure i've actually covered all the content i need.
Right yeah so basically that fact is understanding that every coordination point doesn't have to be substituted. This is the booklet I used, its very comprehensive: https://www.chestnutgrove.wandsworth...-Summer-HW.pdf

Also, if in doubt, Eliot Rintoul and the AQA spec
_Mia101
Rep:
(Original post by chris01928)
Right yeah so basically that fact is understanding that every coordination point doesn't have to be substituted. This is the booklet I used, its very comprehensive: https://www.chestnutgrove.wandsworth...-Summer-HW.pdf

Also, if in doubt, Eliot Rintoul and the AQA spec
Thanks so much!

Elliot Rintoul is the best
I essentially just watched his and Allery Tutor's videos but the harder equation stuff weren't covered.
I'm thinking now it may be part of the next chapter :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (10)
35.71%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (9)
32.14%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
7.14%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (1)
3.57%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (2)
7.14%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
10.71%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
3.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed