The Student Room Group

A Level Maths in One Year

So I'm looking to apply for engineering courses at uni but I don't have A Level maths, which is obviously pretty essential. I'm thinking of either doing a foundation year or taking a year out and self teaching myself A-Level maths in this year as I don't really want to spend 9k on a foundation year. Is this realistically achievable? My current A Levels are physics, English and Biology and I got an 8 in GCSE maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ben_james5
So I'm looking to apply for engineering courses but I don't have A Level maths, which is obviously pretty essential. I'm thinking of either doing a foundation year or taking a year out and self teaching myself A-Level maths in this year as I don't really want to spend 9k on a foundation year. Is this realistically achievable? My current A Levels are physics, English and Biology

Eh I would assume there are a few topics that are more prioritised than others like calculus, trig and vectors and a lot of mechanical maths. Given you have a physics background I could see it being achievable but you won't be strong nor confident as someone who did it for 2 years. Must be very consistent with it as well like doing like 10 hours a week just to fast track through all the 2 year content. Plus Isnt engineering maths basically physics maths, so I'd say yeah its possible

Talk to unis youre interested in to see if theyd take you on without a foundation first just to make sure
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AbrahamP
Eh I would assume there are a few topics that are more prioritised than others like calculus, trig and vectors and a lot of mechanical maths. Given you have a physics background I could see it being achievable but you won't be strong nor confident as someone who did it for 2 years. Must be very consistent with it as well like doing like 10 hours a week just to fast track through all the 2 year content. Plus Isnt engineering maths basically physics maths, so I'd say yeah its possible

Talk to unis youre interested in to see if theyd take you on without a foundation first just to make sure

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately pretty much all universities I want to go to have A Level maths as an absolute must, even if you do A level physics. A Level physics doesn't cover stuff like calculus which I guess is very important.
So I'm looking to apply for engineering courses at uni but I don't have A Level maths, which is obviously pretty essential. I'm thinking of either doing a foundation year or taking a year out and self teaching myself A-Level maths in this year as I don't really want to spend 9k on a foundation year. Is this realistically achievable? My current A Levels are physics, English and Biology and I got an 8 in GCSE maths.

Yes, this is definitely do-able, but you have already missed half a term's work, so you need to get a move on with it. Plenty of people do A level maths in their first VIth form year and FM in their second, so I can't see why you can't do your A level maths alongside your existing A levels privately, so long as you're motivated enough.

Can you afford a private tutor - that would make a huge difference.

Is this to sit it in 2021 or 2022?
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
Is this to sit it in 2021 or 2022?

2023 I think, my actual A Levels are 2022 (this school year)
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
Yes, this is definitely do-able, but you have already missed half a term's work, so you need to get a move on with it. Plenty of people do A level maths in their first VIth form year and FM in their second, so I can't see why you can't do your A level maths alongside your existing A levels privately, so long as you're motivated enough.

Can you afford a private tutor - that would make a huge difference.

Thanks for the reply, I'd definitely consider a private tutor if I have the money at the time. I'm thinking about doing it next year though after my A Levels are done, so I haven't lost any time yet.
2023 I think, my actual A Levels are 2022 (this school year)

Yes, sorry I meant 22 or 23 - OK then if you start as soon as your current A levels are done then it's perfectly possible.

Try here for lesson PPTs: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

Probably worth brushing up on GCSE algebra first here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=Full%20Coverage%20Revision%20Worksheets&term=GCSE
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
Yes, sorry I meant 22 or 23 - OK then if you start as soon as your current A levels are done then it's perfectly possible.

Try here for lesson PPTs: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

Probably worth brushing up on GCSE algebra first here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=Full%20Coverage%20Revision%20Worksheets&term=GCSE

Thanks a lot, those will be really helpful. I'll be sure to check them out!
Thanks a lot, those will be really helpful. I'll be sure to check them out!

Do note the requiremnts re the large data set and the type of calculator you will need.

Quick Reply

Latest