The Student Room Group

As level organic chemistry help

how should I revise organic chemistry . I’m a month behind on organic chem and I have an exam in a week !! Nothing the teacher says makes sense to me and I have no clue at all . All we do in lesson is copy of a PowerPoint . I tried to do one of the topic question and I couldn’t even do one question .
Can someone please give me advice on how to actually understand it .
what do you not understand about it?
Reply 2
Original post by bl0bf1sh
what do you not understand about it?

Hi , could you help me with this question
The question is “the conversion of Q into R in reaction 2 uses NH3 .Name and outline a mechanism for this reaction
4B947660-D8E9-4998-BC69-8A38D7351C7B.jpg.jpeg
I know the reaction is nucleophilic substitution and I do understand the theory behind it but I don’t understand how the structure changes in the markscheme . Eg : why is there H3C at the bottom like where does it come from ? If that makes sense

A45C417E-8961-49FA-9C56-95BB4673AF8D.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Sb17890
Hi , could you help me with this question
The question is “the conversion of Q into R in reaction 2 uses NH3 .Name and outline a mechanism for this reaction
4B947660-D8E9-4998-BC69-8A38D7351C7B.jpg.jpeg
I know the reaction is nucleophilic substitution and I do understand the theory behind it but I don’t understand how the structure changes in the markscheme . Eg : why is there H3C at the bottom like where does it come from ? If that makes sense

Do you mean NH3?
Reply 4
Original post by The A.G
Do you mean NH3?

CA491F8B-616E-4D64-BF5E-1AF061BC63B4.jpg.jpeg

I mean this . Does the CH3 ( which I have labelled as 1) stay there because Cl takes its place ? And I don’t understand where u get the H3C from ( labelled 2)
Original post by Sb17890
CA491F8B-616E-4D64-BF5E-1AF061BC63B4.jpg.jpeg

I mean this . Does the CH3 ( which I have labelled as 1) stay there because Cl takes its place ? And I don’t understand where u get the H3C from ( labelled 2)

From the question you posted, it asks about converting Q to R. If you draw out Q you’ll see it already has those alkyl groups in place. Cl is being replaced/removed from the organic mole by NH3 due to electronegativity. Not sure if this is what you’re asking
Reply 6
Original post by The A.G
From the question you posted, it asks about converting Q to R. If you draw out Q you’ll see it already has those alkyl groups in place. Cl is being replaced/removed from the organic mole by NH3 due to electronegativity. Not sure if this is what you’re asking

Sorry I think I got confused , I just clocked it does have all the alkyl groups

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest