Mastermind1234
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm coming up to gcse options at my school and I want a bit of advice, I'm thinking
. History
. Geography
. 3D design OR hospitality&catering
TheKira
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
They're good, just pick something you enjoy with the future in mind. I never knew there was a GCSE for hospitality&catering 😯
Last edited by TheKira; 1 month ago
VeryAverage
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
History was a fun a-level, lots of memorising though. The technique for answering questions is pretty rote once you've done enough of them, and the structure of papers is relatively similar from year to year. It's quite an interesting GCSE.

Geography was not as interesting personally, but if you enjoy it, then go for it (there was also some minor overlap between biology, chemistry and geography). Not too sure about either of the other 2 though.
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mastermind1234)
I'm coming up to gcse options at my school and I want a bit of advice, I'm thinking
. History
. Geography
I loved History GCSE
username5776044
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i love history but theres a lot of dates and sh-t to remember so hope your memory is good or better than mine lmao 👀
idk about geography i dropped that as soon as i could hated that 😖
my friend took something similar to 3d design and by the sounds of it, its pretty good
i took food and nutrition idk if thats linked to hospitality and catering tho but i enjoy it. lots of practicals but also theory, some technical words to remember but overall id say not too hard
emek4official
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Just pick subjects that you enjoy with a possible career path in mind.

At A Level, choose subjects specifically for a career and university courses.
Mastermind1234
Rep:
(Original post by TheKira)
They're good, just pick something you enjoy with the future in mind. I never knew there was a GCSE for hospitality&catering 😯
Yeah my school offers a few 'not normally done subjects' the course offers the practical side of cooking and learning about food preparation etc and also topics about careers on the hospitality industry so it does seem quite interesting
Mastermind1234
Rep:
(Original post by hey hey yall)
i love history but theres a lot of dates and sh-t to remember so hope your memory is good or better than mine lmao 👀
idk about geography i dropped that as soon as i could hated that 😖
my friend took something similar to 3d design and by the sounds of it, its pretty good
i took food and nutrition idk if thats linked to hospitality and catering tho but i enjoy it. lots of practicals but also theory, some technical words to remember but overall id say not too hard
My memory is quite good ig but that does worry me a bit with history but I'm sure it's like majority of subjects having a to remember alot😅😂
riannak
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
despite what others have said i love geography and i do it at a-level, but honestly it just comes down to what you prefer
just choose the subjects you enjoy and are good at
don't worry too much about gcses anyway - you'll realise later on they're actually not that important! (unless you need the gcse subject for a-level or uni)
if you are really unsure maybe have a look at the specifications and see if the course content interests you
Mastermind1234
Rep:
Thankyou sm, I honestly have zero clue what I want to do and people have said just do what u enjoy as long as u get good grades its fine, it would be so much easier if i knew what I wanted to do 😂 what gcses and A-levels did you/are you doing
riannak
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thankyou sm, I honestly have zero clue what I want to do and people have said just do what u enjoy as long as u get good grades its fine, it would be so much easier if i knew what I wanted to do 😂 what gcses and A-levels did you/are you doing
so for gcse i did: biology, chemistry, physics, art, geography, spanish, and religious studies (was complusory at my school)
for a-level im doing: psychology, biology, geography
and i've applied to do psychology at uni

literally don't worry if you don't know what you want to do yet, over the years i've gone from wanting to be an architect to a detective (and everything in between) and now in terms of career i don't actually know, all i know is i love psychology so we're just going with it lol
wok
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys! I’m also choosing my gcse options and would love some advice!

Compulsory

Triple science
Maths
English language
English literature
A language- I’ve chosen french ( it was out of french or German and I’ve enjoyed french a lot)

I have three optional choices

I’ve chosen

Food preparation and nutrition
Geography
For my third option I can’t choose between business studies and music. I play guitar at a grade 6 but mainly as a hobby and don’t enjoy the theory part, however I’m not sure how business studies is like. I want to do something with little coursework as i want to do medicine in the future, hence want to focus on science.

(Sorry for the long post but I’m really stuck here and would love some help)
username5776044
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My memory is quite good ig but that does worry me a bit with history but I'm sure it's like majority of subjects having a to remember alot😅😂
you should be good then!
emek4official
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wok)

Compulsory

Triple science
Maths
English language
English literature
A language- I’ve chosen french ( it was out of french or German and I’ve enjoyed french a lot)

I’ve chosen

Geography
For my third option I can’t choose between business studies and music. I play guitar at a grade 6 but mainly as a hobby and don’t enjoy the theory part, however I’m not sure how business studies is like. I want to do something with little coursework as i want to do medicine in the future, hence want to focus on science.

Why not try Business Studies and if you really don't like it then ask to switch to Music.

Plus having the musical guitar hobby is still a nice thing to have.
coolchem
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wok)

Compulsory

Triple science
Maths
English language
English literature

I’ve chosen

Geography

Hi, if you're good at music and think you'll be good at business too, then it's really a personal decision. Go for the one which will get you the higher grade is what I would say.
riannak
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wok)

Compulsory

Triple science
Maths
English language
English literature

I’ve chosen

Geography

i didn't do music or business gcse, but i have friends who did and remeber them saying business is really easy but music is quite difficult to get top grades. but if you're grade 6 guitar it might be less difficult for you idk?
wok
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you all! I think I might go for business and see how it turns out. I still have time to decide so if anyone knows about the theory part and coursework of music please do let me know
nikkiblonsky
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wok)
Thank you all! I think I might go for business and see how it turns out. I still have time to decide so if anyone knows about the theory part and coursework of music please do let me know
my friends who do btec business say its extremely easy and they mainly dont do anything in lesson
lilyjoestar
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
history is the goatttt
AbrahamP
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
. History
. Geography
Yeah they’re good gcse choices. Do you have any plans on what you wanna do for a-levels?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (23)
9.24%
Okay (72)
28.92%
A bit lacking (93)
37.35%
Not good at all (61)
24.5%

Watched Threads