A level Edexcel Geogrpahy Question Help:Watch this thread
Can anyone help?
Question: "Evaluate how deficits within the Hydrological System resulting from any Physical Processes can have significant impacts" (20)
I do AQA so I'm not sure how relevant this will be but maybe you could consider:
1. water cycles on a local scale i.e. drainage basins, and the reasons deficits can occur e.g. drought
- impacts could be on agricultural systems (less irrigation meaning lower yeilds which could impact the local economy)
- you could evaluate this by considering the extent that people will be affected e.g. will LICs and HICs be affected to the same extent, and why?
- maybe give named example/s
2. you could consider El Niño
- there are lots of impacts you could consider for this e.g. drought and food/water insecurity, temperature rises due to El Niño are causing a wide range of health problems, including disease outbreaks, malnutrition, heat stress and respiratory diseases
- again, named example/s for this
- again, evaluate the significance of the impacts
3. temporal changes e.g. ice age
- there was a lot more water in cryospheric stores than hydrospheric (sea levels ~100m lower than today in the Pleistocene i think - mention eustatic sea level change as a synoptic link)
- i'm not sure if the impacts of this would be significant due to smaller populations etc, but i guess thats for you to evaluate
- intro and conclusion are up to you to decide whether you think the impacts are significant or not
- remeber to define key terms in the intro
- there are a lot of synoptic links you can put in even if its just mentioning a few words (e.g. with the eustatic sea level change), resource security is a big one, you could talk about less water = less sanitation and more spread of diseases?
i hope this helps