Ella.smith._x
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey everyone! so I take my GCSES in 2022 and I’m currently in the process of applying for sixth form. I know that I want to take Biology and chemistry at a level because I want to study vetinary. However I don’t know what to take for my third option, I have a few ideas but I love them all equally. I was thinking either History, English literature or philosophy and ethics. Any opinions on this? <3
Tegaaan15
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
i'm in the same year as you, so may not be of much help but i'd honestly just go for the one you feel will be most enjoyable/ beneficial to you and your future (whether its career wise or your future everyday life)
McGinger
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
For Vet the third subject can be anything so pick a subject you will enjoy, and where you feel confident of getting that important third A grade.
emek4official
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Pick the A Level that you enjoy the most. Look at the course specifications and look at how you will be examined.
christelle123
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
For Vet the third subject can be anything so pick a subject you will enjoy, and where you feel confident of getting that important third A grade.
do they require chemistry a level ? im doing bio, math and economics. Would it be possible to get it without doing chemistry? i didnt choose it bc i know that i probs wouldnt get an A in it so i choose subjects that im good at.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ella.smith._x)
Hey everyone! so I take my GCSES in 2022 and I’m currently in the process of applying for sixth form. I know that I want to take Biology and chemistry at a level because I want to study vetinary. However I don’t know what to take for my third option, I have a few ideas but I love them all equally. I was thinking either History, English literature or philosophy and ethics. Any opinions on this? <3
Check the course on a few unis websites, just to see if they specify any particular subjects.
Otherwise, choose whichever you enjoy most and think you will get the best grade in.
McGinger
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by christelle123)
do they require chemistry a level ? im doing bio, math and economics. Would it be possible to get it without doing chemistry? i didnt choose it bc i know that i probs wouldnt get an A in it so i choose subjects that im good at.
I'm not aware of any Vet degrees that dont require Chemistry.
You might find a Vet Nursing or Animal Science/Zoology course that doesnt need Chem.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Liverpool doesn't require Chemistry if you have Biology and another academic science-related subject (Physics, Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Psychology.

Harper & Keele say:
Grade A in Biology or Chemistry
A second science subject at grade A (from Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths or Further Maths and Statistics)
A third subject of your choice at grade B (excluding General Studies, Critical Thinking and a second maths subject if used as a science above)

Not doing Chemistry has seriously limited your options for vet school
RambleAmple
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I just want to add on to the above that Liverpool might not require A Level Chemistry as long as there is another science-related subject but they do ask for a B or over at AS Level in Chemistry, so the only real option beside looking into if you are eligible for gateway or prelim options is to try take Chemistry in some form for vet med.
Ella.smith._x
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It’s early on in the year, are you a year 12? If so may it be possible to swap a subject to chemistry? If not you may find it beneficial to take a gap year and see if you can do an online a level chemistry course x
flamingolover
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The one you are best at. To apply to vet school you need AAB/AAA (I think Cambridge might need an A* but I didn’t apply there so idk). Biology and chemistry at A level are very difficult and I struggled a lot more than expected. I would strongly recommend taking the subject that you can do the best in with the least amount of work. This means you have more time to focus on chemistry and biology. Do try to pick a subject you enjoy as well! I took geography and it worked out for me!
Ella.smith._x
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you all for the advice!! I really appreciate it!! it’s really helped.
Happy studying <3
frankieshep
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
It would help to look on the UCAS website at the universities and courses for vet med- a lot of them will state their preferred subjects and it might give you a bit of leeway around the grades you need to get
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
10.16%
Okay (93)
29.52%
A bit lacking (113)
35.87%
Not good at all (77)
24.44%

Watched Threads