Thinking of changing subject but don't want my degree to be worth less

Watch this thread
Musicn3rd9
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
So I'm a first year at the University of Sunderland studying Psychology with Counselling and I'm thinking of changing to a different subject. While Psychology was interesting at first, I don’t really have an interest in it now, and I can't see myself doing it for the next three years or as a career in the future, so I don't really see the point in sticking with it. I really want to study Music as that is something I've always loved, and I think I thought there would be more job prospects doing something like Psychology, but I don't want to do a subject for the sake of it and then either get a job in that field which I won't enjoy or end up doing something completely different anyway as there will then be no point in studying it for three years.

I can still do Music at Sunderland but it doesn't seem to be a conventional undergraduate degree. I would be at Sunderland College which is linked to the university but does A-Level and apprenticeship courses too. I would be doing FdA Applied Music Practice which is a two year course and is accredited by the University of Sunderland. Once I’ve completed that, I could either leave and go and get a job, or do a Music top up year at the university rather than the college to make it into a full BA Hons degree. I know I would do the top up to make it the full degree. My question is, would this degree hold the same merit as a degree obtained from a university that just taught the three year undergraduate course on the campus where the course wasn’t split in two? I don’t want to do it if it’s not going to be worth the same in the end. Any help is appreciated.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
no, if you want to study music go to a recognised music school. The Sunderland music option is not comparable to a conservatoire.
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Musicn3rd9)
So I'm a first year at the University of Sunderland studying Psychology with Counselling and I'm thinking of changing to a different subject. While Psychology was interesting at first, I don’t really have an interest in it now, and I can't see myself doing it for the next three years or as a career in the future, so I don't really see the point in sticking with it. I really want to study Music as that is something I've always loved, and I think I thought there would be more job prospects doing something like Psychology, but I don't want to do a subject for the sake of it and then either get a job in that field which I won't enjoy or end up doing something completely different anyway as there will then be no point in studying it for three years.

I can still do Music at Sunderland but it doesn't seem to be a conventional undergraduate degree. I would be at Sunderland College which is linked to the university but does A-Level and apprenticeship courses too. I would be doing FdA Applied Music Practice which is a two year course and is accredited by the University of Sunderland. Once I’ve completed that, I could either leave and go and get a job, or do a Music top up year at the university rather than the college to make it into a full BA Hons degree. I know I would do the top up to make it the full degree. My question is, would this degree hold the same merit as a degree obtained from a university that just taught the three year undergraduate course on the campus where the course wasn’t split in two? I don’t want to do it if it’s not going to be worth the same in the end. Any help is appreciated.
Hi there,
Sorry to hear you are feeling this way. Our first piece of advice would be to speak to your current course leader who can go through your options with you. If you would like to find out more about our music programme you can sign up to one of our upcoming open days or speak to our dedicated team of Partnership Liaison staff who are responsible for providing a tailored and comprehensive support service to University of Sunderland students studying with our partner colleges.

They can provide expert information, advice and guidance on everything a student needs to know about being a University of Sunderland Partnership student to help ensure your student experience is a great one, and to support you taking the next step to on-campus study. They can be emailed on:
[email protected]

The Applied Music Practice course provides skills and knowledge that are directly relevant to the all-round, versatile musician working in today's music environments. The range of potential careers includes performing, teaching, arts management and entrepreneurship in the creative sector.

If you choose to continue your studies at the end of the course, there is a natural progression to the Music (Top-Up) course at the University of Sunderland. This would ‘top-up’ your qualification to an honours degree, with one year of additional study at the University.

Hope this helps but do let us know if you have any more questions
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (93)
20.09%
The paper was reasonable (177)
38.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.7%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
15.98%

Watched Threads