Can a member of Parliament write me a letter of recommendation

Watch
IQAChaan
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can a member of Parliament that I have worked for write me a recommendation letter? I have searched online but couldn't find any reference. The recommendation is for university application.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IQAChaan)
Can a member of Parliament that I have worked for write me a recommendation letter? I have searched online but couldn't find any reference. The recommendation is for university application.
Is this for a university place in the UK? if so, then universities use references, and a referee (the person who provides that reference) has to be someone who can comment on your suitability for the course, ie a previous lecturer/tutor on an employer. Universities won't accept letters of recommendation from someone who just says' Xis a really decent person. It's referees/references and nothing else.
IQAChaan
Rep:
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Is this for a university place in the UK? if so, then universities use references, and a referee (the person who provides that reference) has to be someone who can comment on your suitability for the course, ie a previous lecturer/tutor on an employer. Universities won't accept letters of recommendation from someone who just says' Xis a really decent person. It's referees/references and nothing else.
As I mentioned I did work with the MP. Im saying MP but thats the equivalent in my country. We have members of National assembly here. I interned for the said person. And its not only for UK but also for US and other countries.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As I mentioned I did work with the MP. Im saying MP but thats the equivalent in my country. We have members of National assembly here. I interned for the said person. And its not only for UK but also for US and other countries.
Different countries have different customs on things like this. It won’t work in the UK.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Britain does not have the same tradition for uni and employment letters of recommendation that the USA does.
UCAS are only interested in a reference from a teacher, tutor or lecturer.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yeah here in UK that would just be outright hilarious, a letter of recommendation from Gavin Williamson or Dominic 'I hate Gays' Raab would prob get you laughed out of any unis canteen let alone it's admission office.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
For a postgrad application in the UK you usually need to provide two references, one should be an academic reference, the other can be a professional one if it is someone you have worked for, (MP or otherwise).

Each uni will have their own reference requirements listed on their respective websites.
IQAChaan
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
For a postgrad application in the UK you usually need to provide two references, one should be an academic reference, the other can be a professional one if it is someone you have worked for, (MP or otherwise).

Each uni will have their own reference requirements listed on their respective websites.
I interned with this said MP. I wamt to pursue law in the future so i wanted to engage with some lawmakers to get an idea whats it like. Uk universities are not big on extra-curriculars but I wanted to apply to US as well. I worked as an assistant over the summer for 2 months. I do have teachers and lecturers recommendation. But its understandable that I cannot use this for my UK application
rosy_posy
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I mean it would certainly make you stand out from the other applicants :lol:
lwk1233
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
you could try contacting the schools individually and see if they accept it, if the answer from one of the schools is a no then personally I wouldn't put it in the UCAS application
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I interned with this said MP. I wamt to pursue law in the future so i wanted to engage with some lawmakers to get an idea whats it like. Uk universities are not big on extra-curriculars but I wanted to apply to US as well. I worked as an assistant over the summer for 2 months. I do have teachers and lecturers recommendation. But its understandable that I cannot use this for my UK application
(I work in postgrad admissions btw)

Internship letters are quite common, although not often from an MP or equivalent. With a postgrad app you can pretty much provide as much supporting material as the applicant portal will accept. So there’s certainly no harm in providing it. I can’t think of any immediate reason why it wouldn’t be accepted as a professional reference, but it may depend on how long the placement was.
IQAChaan
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
(I work in postgrad admissions btw)

Internship letters are quite common, although not often from an MP or equivalent. With a postgrad app you can pretty much provide as much supporting material as the applicant portal will accept. So there’s certainly no harm in providing it. I can’t think of any immediate reason why it wouldn’t be accepted as a professional reference, but it may depend on how long the placement was.
Thank you. It was over a two month time frame
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
9.91%
Okay (94)
29.1%
A bit lacking (118)
36.53%
Not good at all (79)
24.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed